Let’s switch gears for a minute and talk about the only Islanders-related organization that’s currently in their league’s playoffs - the ECHL’s Worcester Railers.
Trailing the Adirondack Thunder 3-1 in the series, the first-year Railers needed a win to stay alive. Down 4-1 on the scoreboard after the first period, it looked like they wouldn’t get one.
BUT LO! The craziness was just beginning. Forward Nick Saraceno (no relation) scored the first playoff hat trick in Worcester hockey history and the Railers went on to win 6-5. Goalie Eamon McAdam came on in relief and left with the win. Writer Bill Ballou of the Worcester Telegram called it one of the best hockey games he’s ever seen in almost 60 years.
Saw my first hockey game in February, 1960; this was one of the best ever— Bill Ballou (@BillBallouTG) April 22, 2018
I wish more video of this existed but that’s pretty wild stuff. Here’s some more about it:
- Ballou’s game story. [Telegram]
- Railers game story [team site]
- More on McAdam’s performance. [Telegram]
- General column on playoff overtimes. [Telegram]
- CT Post’s Michael Fornabaio on the Railers win and AHL goings-on. [Soundin’ Off]
Game Six is Monday night in Worcester. If you can get there, it might be a good time.
Islanders and NHL stuff
- The team compiled a bunch of their best performances from this season. There were a few, believe it or not.
- Last night’s NHL scores. The Caps take the lead thanks to an OT win and the Leafs live for another day thanks to Freddie Andersen’s heroics. Sadly for the Devils, their magical season is over. The Lightning were just too much for them.
- On the brink of elimination, John Tortorella guarantees a Blue Jackets win in Game 6. I think we need to adjust how we evaluate these sports “guarantees.” [NHL.com]
- Remember that whole “Mikko Koskinen might come back to the NHL, maybe even with the Islanders” thing from a few weeks ago? Now it appears the Oilers have the inside track on him. Okay then. [Edm. Journal]
- Brian Boyle, Roberto Luongo and Jordan Staal are your Masterton Trophy finalists. Gotta think Boyle takes this one. [NHL.com]
Calder Trophy finalists will be announced today. I’d stay tuned if I were you...