Maybe the confusion from last week’s ownership communications will clear up over the next few weeks. Or maybe we’ll be in the status quo again.
- The big report from yesterday was at SNY by Chris Botta, who has quite the history with the Isles and Garth Snow, citing two unnamed sources that Isles ownership is indeed exploring a replacement GM. If this “top hockey executive” move would keep Snow in some role, then you encounter similar awkwardness obstacles to last year’s president of operations search, though inverted. But anyway, perhaps a sign. The Fourth Period and others picked up on the report but nothing of substance added anywhere.
- Meanwhile, more speculation on the John Tavares contract front, with Elliotte Friedman continuing to suggest pitches from San Jose and St. Louis, Andrew Gross of Newsday saying odds seem to decrease with each passing day, and Arthur Staple saying chatter is of a $12.6 million cap hit. Dan’s got you covered with links in the Tavares Encyclopedia.
- The Staple article was mostly about all the Islanders UFAs and what it will likely take for a team (Islanders or elsewhere) to land them. [Athletic]
- Kieffer Bellows’ season is over, Ilya Sorokin’s will end soon one way or another. [Isles prospect report]
- The Sound Tigers season is over too, of course. They thought they could be dangerous if only they could make the playoffs. More coverage to come tomorrow. [Soundin’ Off]
- In an upset, Stan Fischler’s Top 10 Islanders Moments countdown finishes with...the inaugural season, their worst. But you had to start somewhere [Isles]
- The Flames fired coach Glen Gulutzan and his assistants. [NHL | M&G]
- Bill Peters has an out clause in Carolina that he must exercise by Friday, and Elliotte Friedman says that if he uses it the Calgary job is his. [Fan Rag] Or Darryl Sutter? [M&G]
- You can’t make this up: Radko Gudas injures Sean Couturier in practice, jeopardizing the center’s availability for Game 4. [NHL]
- The Penguins are definitely without Patric Hornqvist for Game 4. [NHL]
- And the Wild missed Zach Parise last night, apparently for a broken sternum(!) [Hockey Wilderness | NHL]
- Sylvain Lefebvre may be fired after several years of disappointing results for the Canadiens’ AHL affiliate [Athletic] ...okay yep, he’s been fired. [HEOTP]
- Look at all these teams with their fancy iPads. [SI]
- Rangers anthem singer John Amirante has died. Stan Fischler remembers. [MSG]
Bruce Boudreau was not happy about a blatant missed crosscheck on Eric Staal, but this is being a bit dramatic when the Jets shutout the Wild 2-0:
Boudreau on referee’s missing Morrissey’s cross-check on Staal: “They decided not to call it because we were already on the power play. It cost us the game ... He should have been out of the game.”— Frank Seravalli (@frank_seravalli) April 18, 2018
This goal to help send it to OT was considerably prettier: