It’s Sunday. The Islanders lost in overtime yesterday and are on their way to Vancouver for a game tomorrow night. Enjoy the day off.
- Recaps: LHH | Newsday | NY Post | NHL.com | NYI Skinny | Pensburgh
- Laura Albanese on Chris Gibson’s stellar performance. [Newsday]
- Staple on Gibson, and Sidney Crosby’s career’s worth of points against one team. [The Athletic]
Crosby has 108 points now in 61 career games against the Isles and that was his third OT winner to beat the Islanders — he’s got 12 career OT winners total.
- Brooksie has many, many questions about how the Islanders do (or more importantly don’t do) business.
- Congrats to Mr. and Mrs. Cizikas on the birth of their son, Jack. [MSG Networks]
- Team USA lugers on their Islanders fandom and their Olympics experience. [MSG Networks]
- Bridgeport came back to beat Belleville thanks to two goals by Parker Wotherspoon. [CT Post | Soundin’ Off]
- The Railers also kept their playoff hopes alive with a 3-2 shootout win over Wheeling (while wearing some truly ridiculous Captain America-style uniforms). [Telegram]
- Kieffer Bellows had a goal and an assist in Portland’s 5-0 win over Tri-Cities. [Winterhawks]
- Andrew Gross says good bye to the Record and the Devils beat as he prepares to join the Islanders when they come back from their western swing. Andrew does good work and I’m looking forward to what he brings to Newsday’s Islanders coverage.
- Last night’s NHL scores. Don’t look at the standings.
- Yesterday was the Stadium Series game at the US Naval Academy against the Caps and Leafs. And what it lacked in build up, it kinda made up for in pageantry. Unless you’re a Leafs fan, in which it sucked big time, and also involved ridiculous uniforms. I thought the aircraft carrier backdrop to the rink was badass. [NHL.com | Alex Ovechkin scored his 40th goal, wants more | Seen and heard around via Sportsnet]
From Saturday, The Maven announces his TV retirement at the end of the season. Gonna be weird not having him there. But I’ll reiterate what I said on Twitter: move Butch to the studio with Shannon and bring in Mark Parrish as color analyst. Everybody wins.