The New York Islanders were formally ousted from playoff contention in last night’s shutout loss. Coach Doug Weight’s post-game tune did not change. The Islanders’ play looked no different — yes, they can generate chances, no they do not pay disciplined attention to detail nor defensive norms commonly seen as necessary to win games frequently in the NHL.
They’re at it again in Ottawa tonight. FIG picks go here.
Two years ago #Isles beat #FlaPanthers in first round for first playoff series win since '93. Now, 2nd year out of playoffs.— Andrew Gross (@AGrossNewsday) March 27, 2018
Said Tavares: "You didn’t think about two years ago being in this position. You never think about being here. You don’t want to be here. It is what it is."
- About last night: Weight’s best post-game quote was...well I gotta figure it out. [LHH] Andrew Gross fetching plenty more reactions. [Newsday] Good win for the surging hot and wild-card chasing Panthers. [NHL] What can you say? [Isles] Five takeaways for the Cats [Miami Herald]
- Casey Cizikas missed the game with some lingering upper body injury stuff. [Newsday]
- Cizikas and Cal Clutterbuck don’t let the “look how much they make” talk get to them, but the miles may be catching up to them. [The Athletic]
- Nick Leddy is minus-40. (-42 now.) ((Thomas Hickey is +16)) [LHH Fanshot for posterity]
- The Islanders and Oilers, forever attached at the hip by ‘80s Cups, ‘90s irrelevance, and ‘00s wasting of top talent. [Puck Daddy]
- Hey here’s an idea, let’s bring minor hockey to Medford. [Newsday]
- David Quenneville scores again as Medicine Hat takes a 2-0 lead in its WHL playoff series. [Medicine Hat News]
- Well, the way to juice up a meaningless Isles-Rangers late-season game is to have lawyers networking. 100 Lawyers Strong, they say. [WBAB]
- THERE WERE BOXERS PROMOTING THINGS AT SATURDAY’S ISLES GAME. [Boxing Scene]
Last night’s NHL scores.
- Some are enjoying the Stars’ collapse as a reflection of Ken Hitchcock. Others are doing the ol’ crucify the captain routine: What kind of captain is Jamie Benn? [The Athletic]
- The Ducks play turtle against the Connor McDavids in 3-on-3 OT, and win. WHO’S TO BLAME? [Star] Video and analysis here [NBC Sports]
- The Senators have to choose whether to give up this year’s first-rounder or next to complete the Matt Duchene trade. However they answer can be kind of a trap. [Down Goes Brown]
- Retired NHLer Andrew Ference takes on a role with the league because it’s past time for the league to reach “beyond middle-age white dudes.” [ESPN]
- Alex Pietrangelo discusses the escape hockey provides from life’s ills, and the pain of having a miscarriage. If it ever happens/ed to you, please know that it happens to tons of people and you wouldn’t realize it because for some reason people tend to keep it to themselves even through the pain. [Players’ Tribune]