Good morning! Nope, still no Isles game today.
- The elephant in the room, per Newsday: The Isles playoff chances are remarkably dim. Doug Weight knows they have to go on a big run. Cal Clutterbuck says it’s frustrating because they know (believe) they are a team that could do damage in the playoffs.
- Mathew Barzal’s journey from the sometimes-afterthought community of B.C. hockey has the most adorable pictures. [The Athletic]
- Casey Cizikas is a serious Price of Right fan and he’s dragging his teammates into the sickness with him. [Isles]
- The Sound Tigers add an ATO, a lefty D named Tyler Mueller who just wrapped up four years at UMass-Lowell. [Soundin’ Off]
- Here’s more on Mueller and fellow NCAA ATO Ryan Hitchcock, who played in Sunday’s comeback win. [CT Post]
- Prospect Report: Ilya Sorokin reeling off shutouts in the (non-competitive) KHL playoffs, while Logan Cockerill and Ben Mirageas help their Hockey East teams to the semifinals. [Isles]
Tune in later this morning for new Anxiety!
Island Brooklyn Nassau Belmont Here
Last night’s scores included the Hurricanes blowing a 4-1 third-period lead (in part thanks to Evil Sebastian Aho) to lose 6-4 to the Bruins. That was the only game with Metro/playoff (ha) implications. Unfortunately the Flames won the Battle of Alberta to get them within two points of the Western wild card.
- These are your ideal 2017-18 NHL playoff scenarios and I can’t say I disagree. Except the (Flames must miss to give us another lottery ball.) [DGB at Sportsnet]
- Ol’ friend Scott Gordon is having success with Philadelphia’s AHL affiliate, so he gets a contract extension. [Lehigh Valley Phantoms]
- The Bruins signed a couple of Badgers to AHL ATOs. [SCOC]
- Bobby Ryan’s days in Ottawa are surely numbered and he knows it, but he handles it all really cool because he’s a fine gent. [Ottawa Sun]
- Oscar Klefbom opens up about playing through an injury that clearly limited him all season. [Sportsnet]
- Shea Weber’s injury required surgery that has an expected recovery lasting six months. [HEOTP]
- Petr Mrazek’s new mask for the Flyers embraces the Broad Street Bully motif. [InGoal]
- Justin Bourne discusses a pet peeve: Performative anger, to show your coach/teammates/GM that you really care and stuff. [The Athletic]
- After a quarter century of minor hockey in this Iowa corner on the border with Illinois, the ECHL Quad City Mallards will cease. [QC Times]