The Islanders finally snapped the eight-game winless skid last night, jumping on Mike Smith — in his first appearance since being hurt against the Islanders over a month ago. Now they head home from their final Western road trip of the season and don’t play again till Thursday, when they bring the Capitals to Brooklyn.
- About last night: HockeyGoalieEh does double time and lapped up the tale of two goalies for Lighthouse Hockey and Matchsticks & Gasoline. [More from: Newsday | NHL | Herald | Flames Nation]
- All kinds of insane stats from Eric Hornick’s “Skinny” last night, including the rare territory the Isles have entered with 50+ shots against games, and wins in such situations. [The Skinny]
- While the season dwindles, we can take some joy in Mathew Barzal with recent video features by Elliotte Friedman for HNIC and the MSG profile from last week. [LHH]
- Speaking of which, in a bad sign for opponents but a good sign for us, the game is somehow slowing down even more for Barzal. [Newsday] Also in that one, a little note about how many Islanders are from Western Canada.
- Brendan Burke’s transition to the booth replacing Howie Rose has been seamless and excellent. [Newsday]
- The Sound Tigers erased a 4-0 deficit on Sunday to defeat Springfield. [CT Post | Soundin’ Off]
- Logan Cockerill scores to help BU advance to the conference final. [Boston Herald]
- A look back at Mike Bossy’s outstanding career through some spiffy hockey cards whose images are etched into my brain. [Sports Collectors Daily]
- The longest shootout in Worcester Railers (still quite young) history ended in victory for the Isles ECHL affiliate. [Telegram]
- Things haven’t gone as planned for Kevin Shattenkirk, who signed a big deal with his fan-fave team, got hurt in preseason, played through it, had surgery, and now returns to a team he barely recognizes. [Post]
- The weekly Metro snapshot: Isles in the rear view mirror. [AATJ]
- The MVP race is heating up. [Puck Daddy]