As with every other NHL Trade Deadline, it is sure to fall far short of the hype... unless Erik Karlsson really is moved. Then, I’d say, it would be exciting.
Another potentially enthralling development, that is honestly less likely than a Karlsson trade, would be Garth Snow and the Islanders jumping into the fray and acquiring a major name out there in the market. I doubt they would pay up for Karlsson, but maybe they would for Oliver Ekman-Larsson? More likely is another depth move, a la the Brandon Davidson trade, or settling on that trade as the move they make for the deadline in 2018.
For what it’s worth, I like the Davidson trade, and Davidson the player. But not really sure what to make of this team’s direction if that is all they do. They could also sell off some expiring assets and wave the white flag, though I’m not sure a certain captain would be happy with that. If it seems like I’m speaking in circles, well, yeah.
- Meanwhile, Barclays CEO Brett Yormark calls the Islanders a ‘rent-a-team’ for their stay in Brooklyn. He certainly treated them like they were. All the effort he claimed his team put into immersing them in the borough culminated in them giving them a jersey with the Nets’ colors and relenting on their no-watching-warmups-on-the-glass ban. [Newsday]
- And to top it all off, John Tavares is slumping at an inopportune time for a playoff push. Things are going swimmingly around these parts, folks. [Newsday]
- And the Power Rankings reflect it. [LHH]
- At least the Sound Tigers won, defeating Charlotte 1-0 to stay on the outskirts of the playoff race. [Soundin’ Off | CT Post]
- David Quenneville is up to 25 goals on the season, as a defenseman. Though he’s in his overage year. [Medicine Hat News]
- The fruits of Brett Yormark’s labor: the TSA is coming to Barclays, through a vendor, to speed up the entry process. [NetsDaily]
Around the League, Mostly Deadline Things
- Tomas Plekanec was traded from the Canadiens, his long-time team, to the Maple Leafs, his long-time rival, in the rare deal that works for both teams. [NHL | EOTP]
- And Mark Letestu was the subject of a three-team trade, bouncing from the Oilers to the Predators and landing with the Blue Jackets. [NHL]
- But by far, the biggest storyline heading into the 3:00 p.m. deadline today is the “increasing likelihood” that Erik Karlsson will be traded ahead of it.
No certainties of course, but perception is that it is increasingly likely Karlsson is moved prior to tomorrow’s deadline.— Travis Yost (@travisyost) February 26, 2018
- In the eyes of the man that covers them, it is D-Day for the Senators and Karlsson. [Ottawa Sun]
- You can keep up with Sportsnet’s coverage (with Elliotte Friedman) of the day on NHL Network, or with TSN’s coverage (where you’d find Uncle Bob) on ESPN3 and ESPN2 closer to the deadline. [Sportsnet | ESPN]
- The top of the division is tight in this weeks Metro Snapshot. [AATJ]
- Everyone’s got something to say on the ice, but does it actually work? [The Athletic]