Tonight’s game is huge for a number of different reasons, and with all due respect to Patrik Elias - an excellent, underrated player who’s getting his number retired by the Devils tonight - the two points up for grabs for two teams that need them take far more precedence.
FIG picks go here. Game time is, uh, complicated so just try to get your picks in before 6:15.
- Josh Bailey made his contract extension official yesterday, to the tune of six years and $30 million ($5 mil AAV). [LHH | Newsday | Islanders | Release]
- Meanwhile, his linemate and captain is in a bit of a scoring funk at the moment, which isn’t good for the Islanders. [Newsday]
- If you haven’t yet, you should absolutely listen to Arthur Staple’s appearance on the Hockey PDOcast this week. It’s a shame we only get one of these a season because they’re always very good. Dimitri asks the right questions and Arthur gives his usual answers and insight.
- Luke Fox’s notebook after the Islanders-Leafs game includes some Islanders tidbits including Mike Babcock’s thoughts on the Tavares line and Cal Clutterbuck’s feelings about the team’s defensive play.
- The John Tavares Encyclopedia has been updated with the stories from the Islanders’s latest Toronto visit.
- Spizzwolf as gone above and beyond to bring you the Oscar-nominated short film, “Islanders Falling Down.”
- The Sound Tigers had a rough time against Providence, losing 5-3, and are seven points out of a playoff spot. [CT Post | Soundin’ Off]
- Worcester’s Matt Lane is a work in progress. [Telegram]
- Kieffer Bellows had the winning goal in Portland’s 2-1 win over Victoria. [WInterhawks]
Around the NHL
- Last night’s NHL scores. The Penguins whupped Carolina, which was a favor to the Islanders. However...
- Fun: following a crazy trade in real time on social media as reporters scramble to figure out just what the hell is going on. Not fun: a two-time champion and division rival acquiring a player that all but guarantees them a third title and maybe more. Long story short: Derick Brassard is a Penguin now. [SBN | Post-Gazette | The Athletic on a bizarre day]
- The man of the weekend is Erik Karlsson, who is still, as of this writing, an Ottawa Senator. Stay tuned. [Sportsnet | PHT]
- Auston Matthews did indeed hurt his shoulder in Thursday’s game against the Islanders and will miss some time. [PPP]
- NHL folk, including Doug Weight, voice their objections to shootouts deciding gold medal games. [CTV News]
Cool video on how video coaches do what they do. Points off for not including the great Matt Bertani.