One day after the Canadian women’s team fell by shootout in the Olympic gold medal game, Canada’s NHL Team won by shootout in the Tavares Medal game.
The Islanders played well, almost shockingly so, but couldn’t hold the lead — though the tying goal really was an unfortunate bounce — nor pull it out in an overtime that was missing Auston Matthews.
So it goes.
- About last night. [LHH | Islanders | Newsday | NHL | PPP]
- Josh Bailey is nearing a long-term extension, and Doug Weight and Mathew Barzal and surely others are happy to hear it. [Newsday | LHH | NY Post]
- They say Bailey and Tavares are good friends and this might help...you know. [TSN audio...about 5:50 in]
- Speaking of which, media dolts in Toronto grill John Tavares about free agency, get predictable responses. [TSN]
- Hey you know what? Simply making the playoffs and losing won’t be enough for Tavares. It’s all going in the Encyclopedia today. [Sportsnet radio, Staple visit]
- Sportsnet on how Mathew Barzal’s training with speed skater Victor Kraatz gave him that elusive shiftiness. (How long before Toronto starts clamoring to sign Barzal away from the Islanders?)
- In accordance with the LHH prophecies, Mathew Barzal is starting to run away with the Calder. [ESPN]
- The Other Gaudreau continues to work on his game in Bridgeport. [Soundin’ Off]
- Meanwhile, Christopher Gibson’s recall to the Isles opens up opportunities in the Bridgeport net. [CT Post]
- Staple foments mourning that Ilya Sorokin is good but signed for a couple more years in the KHL. [The Athletic]
- The Matt Martin contract Matt Martin signed in Toronto is what’s keeping a happy Matt Martin reunion with the Islanders, probably. [Sportsnet]
The Isles played to a 58.85% score adjusted CF tonight, which is super encouraging. But this late in the season, where they are in the standings, basically unfathomable to not muster two points form that game. Alas, here we are.— Carey (@habermetrics) February 23, 2018
- Last night’s scores include a Devils regulation loss, a Flyers regulation win over Columbus, a Capitals regulation loss to the Panthers, and a Rangers regulation loss.
- After last night’s first-ever trade between Manhattan and Jersey, Michael Grabner is the rare player to suit up for the Islanders, Smurfs, and
Rockies ScoutsDevils. [Blueshirt Banter | NHL | Newsday | AATJ | Post]
- Seriously, Erik Karlsson could be traded before the deadline. [Puck Daddy]
- Men’s and women’s shootout heroes, also high school dance partners. [RMNB] Photo gallery from the women’s final. [Ice Garden]
- Roberto Luongo gave a passionate speech about the latest U.S. school mass shooting, which hit close to his adopted home. [Puck Daddy]
- Ahead of his number retirement Saturday night (against the Isles), Stan Fischler gets wistful about Patrik Elias, who almost died during Lockout II. [MSG]
- Elias talked about nearly joining the Rangers, back when there was no salary cap and they could just add whoever. [ESPN]
- Shea Weber is shut down for the season. [HEOTP]