What’s the LCD Soundsystem lyric? “I wouldn’t trade one stupid decision / For another five year’s of life,” isn’t it?
Well, the Islanders’ bad decisions yesterday were not that kind. Not the fun ones. Zero points for the effort, now three days to stew over it.
last night yesterday afternoon:
- Nothing unusual, but a sweet first NHL goal for Tanner Fritz. [LHH]
- Three bad decisions, said an exhausted coach Doug Weight. [NHL | Newsday | Isles]
- Asked about goals from Fritz and Johnson, he channeled his exasperation at shift length from the top two lines: “Get the puck in, play 35 seconds, work your butt off and get off. That’s what it exemplifies – how we want to play. You want to stay out for 65 seconds, as soon as it doesn’t go your way… It’s just rhetoric right now. And we played a good game, played hard, but not good enough.” [Post | The Athletic]
- After his late-game injury on Friday, Thomas Greiss is on IR and Christopher Gibson was recalled to be last night’s backup. [LHH | Post | Newsday]
- The latest power rankings from Torgo indicate the Islanders absolutely are who we and many media think they are. [LHH]
- Dan chatted with the Around The Boards podcast about life as an Islanders fan and what the future of Garth Snow may be.
Not Only But Also
The Olympic season calls for Mary Lou Retton references in Dan’s Golden Girls Sports Podcast. You know you’re curious.
Ryan Donato's 4 goals in Korea match Ted Donato's total from the 1992 Olympics— College Hockey Inc. (@collegehockey) February 20, 2018
- We have a trade to announce: Both Flyers goalies are out hurt, so they completed a trade for UFA-to-be Petr Mrazek for a conditional mid-round pick and an extra one if he’s re-signed. It’s a fine trade, but I’m definitely not freaking out that the Isles didn’t do this. [BSH | NHL]
- The U.S. dumped Slovakia to earn a date with Czech Republic in the men’s quarterfinal. [SB Nation]
- As expected, the U.S. and Canada renew their storied rivalry in the women’s final on Wednesday. [SB Nation]
- Ex-Isles Travis Hamonic celebrates his 500th NHL game with family. [Cal + Gary Sun]
- Hey stop using Corsi to evaluate teams ‘cause there’s better stuff now (like scoring chance/quality data), writes “Tavares is not top 25” Neil. [Wash. Post]
- Jim Benning talked about trade he might make of skilled players for “hard to play against” guys and it made Canucks fans kinda scared. [PITB]
- Oh, and hey maybe the Rangers tanking will get them a top-three draft pick, says Brooksie. [Post]
- Four scumbag Hawks fans were ejected from their really pricey seats for taunting Devon Smith-Pelly with stupid racist stuff. [SB Nation] As in society, this is not an isolated incident. [Fear The Fin]