The Islanders are off again today, and after 24 hours of reflection on two straight up terrible games right out of the All-Star break, maybe today is the one in which something is done to give this team a boost in its fading hopes of making the playoffs.
HaHAhaHaHAHAhAhAHa! Just a little Friday funny for you. Nothing will happen. See everyone tomorrow.
- Let’s start with the good stuff: Mathew Barzal, the “puck-controlling, rink-orbiting breath of fresh air” was named Rookie of the Month for January. He’s good. [LHH | Newsday with some interesting quotes from an interesting kid]
- The Islanders are back in action tomorrow, when they host Pride Night against the Blue Jackets. Lots going on at the game including community charity donations and giveaways, so grab some tickets and go. [LHH]
- I’m not sure this counts as “breaking news,” but Pierre LeBrun reported that Garth Snow will not trade John Tavares as he creeps closer to UFA status. [The Athletic | TSN’s Insider Trading, which you can watch]
- I did a big ass update to the John Tavares Encyclopedia after the Leafs game.
- Jack Capuano (remember him?) was the guest on the IsleSeat podcast. I haven’t listened yet but my guess is it’s a good one.
- Football dude Anders Lee gives his Super Bowl prediction. [NHLPA]
- Denis Potvin! He stops by Schwartz on Sports to talk about the Islanders playing back at the Coliseum, and Sports Illustrated remembers one of the Hall of Famer’s historic moments.
- Bridgeport goalie Christopher Gibson’s wild ride to the AHL All-Star Game. [CT Post]
- For Athletic $ubscriber$, Corey Pronman talks to a bunch of prospects about their skills, including asking Mitch Vande Sompel about his ability to be a forward/defenseman or a “rover.”
- Meanwhile, teammate Pat Cullity will sit for tonight’s game with a suspension. [Soundin’ Off | More BST notes]
- Second City Hockey remembers Blackhawks and Islanders stalwart Brent Sutter.
- Kieffer Bellows returned from injury and after a quiet first two periods, scored twice in Portland’s 3-0 win over Everett on Tuesday. Nice to have you back. [Dub Network]
Around the NHL
- Last night’s scores. The Leafs pretty much did to the Rangers what they did to the Islanders on Tuesday. And Hurricanes won, pushing them ahead of both in the standings.
- After assuming the Canucks would want to trade him, now they might re-sign Erik Gudbranson to a new deal. The question remains: why are we paying so much attention to Erik Gudbranson? (PS He’s awful. Don’t even joke about it) [SBN]
- Bringing Mike Fisher back from retirement solves a lingering problem for the Predators. [SBN]
- Congrats to Kings defenseman Alec Martinez on getting his degree. His mom and dad are happy. [NHL.com]
- 25 years of Gary Bettman. Boy, how time flies, with one crazy and occasionally stupid thing after another. [ESPN.com]
- I mean, sure if the Canadiens offered Pierre McGuire their president’s position, he could be convinced to take it. You know, just in case... How generous of him. [TSN.ca]
Puppy Draft! Tavares goes for strategy, while Bailey follows the trends of today’s hockey stars.