The Islanders and Jets played to a 0-0 stalemate through two periods — with some outstanding saves from both goalies — before things changed in a hurry in the third. An Anders Lee goal, followed by a Jets power play equalizer and go-ahead goal just 22 seconds apart which proved the difference.
Strong effort overall though. The Isles slowed a dangerous, speedy Jets team down.
- About last night: [LHH | Newsday | Isles | NHL | Barry Trotz postgame | The Skinny | Arctic Ice Hockey]
- A new Isles Seat podcast drops, on the return to the Coliseum, with “guest” Brian Compton returning to the program. [Isles Seat]
- Results of the environmental impact study for the Belmont arena are expected Thursday. Jon Ledecky said he expects no big surprises, but you know... [Newsday]
- Lou likes him a franchise goalie. But is a solution in house (Ilya Sorokin)? [Athletic]
- Christopher Gibson was called up to back up Thomas Greiss yesterday, with Robin Lehner nursing a “tweak” of something. [Soundin’ Off]
- Further along the goalie pipeline, Worcester’s Mitch Gillam was named ECHL Goalie of the Week. [ECHL]
- The Silver Fox returns to Kings Legends Night:
Last night’s scores included a Frans Nielsen hat trick in the Wings’ shootout loss to the Lightning.
- Team 32 is official: Seattle was approved for an expansion team, to begin play in 2021-22. [NHL | Sonics Rising]
- Leboff goes through the odds of what Seattle’s team name will be, because you can literally bet on anything. [Action Sports]
- The Seattle team will have a little more lead time than Vegas had — as will rival GMs to prepare for an expansion draft — so they expect to hire a GM early. [Athletic]
- With Seattle joining the NHL, nearby WHL teams expect it will help them continue to grow hockey in the region rather than crowd them out of the market. [Athletic]
- Seattle expansion FAQ [NHL] Seattle’s mayor is on board with the whole deal, which certainly helps. [NHL] Local ties make TJ Oshie happy with the news. [NHL]
- Seattle would join the Pacific Division and the Coyotes would move to the Central, though that must be agreed to with the NHLPA. [@renlavoie]
- The Wings lose Anthony Mantha for 4-6 weeks. [NHL]
- Analyzing that Daniel Sprong trade by the Penguins, who are the Isles’ next opponent. [Athletic]
- Three days inside the life of a billet mom’s house. [Athletic]
- In which NBA star Dwyane Wade of the Miami Heat crashes into the stands...and Panthers star Aleksander Barkov. [AP]
What goes around...
Tom Wilson was hurt by this interference hit from Ryan Reaves, which earned Reaves an ejection. I’m sure Reaves is the real victim here though... #wilsonmath:
Tom Wilson hurt after blindside hit from Ryan Reaves pic.twitter.com/xsrs7LSMLd— Pete Blackburn (@PeteBlackburn) December 5, 2018
Never want to see a player's head hit the ice the way Wilson's did, regardless of his history.— Arthur Staple (@StapeAthletic) December 5, 2018
What would be great to see is coaches stop the "it's ok for me, not for thee" stuff. Can't be defiant when it's your guy making the bad hit then ask for justice when your guy is hurt. https://t.co/kfCr9O4HGN
“Reaves targeted (Wilson) the entire game,” Capitals coach Todd Reirden said. “You could hear it on every faceoff, you could hear that things were being said. It’s a blindside hit on an unsuspecting player who (then) hits his head on the ice. That’s disappointing. You can put two and two together, but he targeted him the entire game. You can figure it out from there.”
Yeah, we can figure it out. Can Wilson?