The Islanders are in Vegas tonight (late, late tonight), hoping to make it 3-for-3 to start the pre-Christmas road trip.
Opposition views at Knights On Ice. Check back here soon as Dan and Mike will have an Islanders Anxiety podcast up.
Leave your FIG picks here.
- The big news from Wednesday was Thomas Hickey placed on IR, Devon Toews called up from Bridgeport mid-trip. [LHH | BST]
- But Luca Sbisa filled Hickey’s spot in Arizona, and Toews is coming in across the country without a full practice. So who plays tonight against Sbisa’s former team? [Newsday]
- As noted in a few places, Barry Trotz likes what he sees from Josh Ho-Sang thus far, including his work along the boards. Also this: “If he continues down that path of playing the right way, he’ll have a chance to be a regular guy, night in and night out. He’s a high-end talent. We’re trying to make him into a high-end player.” [Newsday]
- Top D amateur prospect Noah Dobson’s stats have dipped this year, but he’s been on a terrible team. How concerned should we be? Carey digs in with the interesting concept of “In Betweenness” [LHH]
- Bridgeport was a few minutes away from the win last night, but gave up two late goals and an OT marker from It’s Pronounced Churchman (the latter two on the power play). OT loss, though extends their points streak. [BST]
Six goals on his last six shots! RUN MDC ♂️ ! #SoundTigers pic.twitter.com/Ef45sC1dOq— Bridgeport Sound Tigers (@TheSoundTigers) December 20, 2018
- A review of the Islanders power play struggles, and recent changes for some relief. [Athletic]
- Lou Lamoriello “wouldn’t normally do this kind of thing,” but he went on this executive interview series because ol’ friend Deb Placey asked. He talks about his college days, the move from Providence College to the Devils, stuff we’ve heard before about taking the Islanders job, and then some parts of his philosophy on total organizational oversight. (No mention of why low uniform numbers are so important though.) [NHL]
Presenting, Words with Butch:
Just two games in last night’s NHL scores, with the Penguins beating the Capitals in another rivalry war.
Our newest, beautiful Swedish boy pic.twitter.com/3p8b5ajjig— PensBurgh (@Pensburgh) December 20, 2018
- Tonight’s opponent has placed Max Pacioretty on IR. [NHL | Knights On Ice]
- The Sabres have taken care of their little Patrik Berglund problem. [TSN]
- You don’t see this every day: Vince Dunn fined, Jujhar Khaira suspended two games for their crosschecking each other in the head. Dunn initiated the thing, yet his was determined “not as forceful/violent.” (I understand what the league is thinking; but in my book, if a guy initiates with an illegal move against my head, he deserves payback a thousandfold.) [NHL]
- Strome the Second says he’s not a bust. [TSN]
- This is a pretty interesting look at the Blue Jackets’ attempts to get Alexander Wennberg to be a true 1A center. Shades of Josh Bailey’s or Brock Nelson’s up-and-down development. [Athletic]
- The Ottawa arena issue meltdown continues, but now Melnyk is willing to play in an arena he doesn’t own. [TSN]
- Attending 31 games in 31 NHL cities in 31 days. (Cheater, should’ve worked in Brooklyn and Nassau). [Athletic]