As of this writing, it appears that tonight’s game at the Coliseum, like the first one, will most likely be a full house.
Impressive for a Monday night, though Islanders-Penguins is a bigger rivalry game than Islanders-Blue Jackets. Hopefully, this final match-up of the regular season between these two teams more closely resembles the first two games than the third, Thursday’s dirty diaper game in Pittsburgh.
Leave your FIG Picks here.
- As alluded to in the above tweet from statistician Eric Hornick, and mentioned briefly in yesterday’s Bits, Josh Ho-Sang was recalled to the big club after an impressive first quarter of the season in AHL Bridgeport (goalie Chris Gibson was returned to the Sound Tigers). [Islanders]
- However, he may not get the chance to play. He was called up as “depth” for the slightly banged-up Tom Kuhnhackl, according to GM Lou Lamoriello. I hope we get to see him play in an offensive role, though. [Newsday | Arthur Staple on Ho-Sang’s probably brief recall]
- Michael Fornabaio covers the move from the Bridgeport angle and addresses the Niklas Kronwall hit on Anders Lee, which reminded him of his brother Staffan Kronwall’s hit on Jeremy Colliton back in 2009 in the AHL. [Soundin’ Off]
- Josh Bailey was featured in a nice, lengthy piece on the NHL site after scoring his 400th NHL point Saturday night. The article explored the praise and respect for him from his teammates about how versatile and intelligent he is, as evidenced by the nuances in his game. [NHL]
- The Railers saw their 5-game point streak come to an end after a loss to the Maine Mariners, in the ECHL’s edition of Isles-Rangers. They took 42 shots on goal but only came away with 2 goals to the home team’s 4. [RailersHC]
Yesterday’s NHL scores. The Canucks smacked around the Blues in a 6-1 road stomping; St. Louis can’t seem to get anything right this season. (Sorry, Dom.) Also, the Flyers were demolished by the Jets in Winnipeg, 7-1.
- VIDEO: Old pal Alan Quine was called up for, and scored a goal in, the Flames’ victory over the Predators to put Calgary on top of the West. He discussed the recall as well as his time spent here with the Islanders. [Sportsnet]
- Maple Leafs forward Zach Hyman was suspended two games for his very late hit on Bruins defenseman Charlie McAvoy, who had just returned after missing over a month due to a concussion. [NHL]
- Coyotes goalie Antti Raanta, who had missed the last 5 games with a lower-body injury, had a procedure to correct the issue and the procedure revealed that the damage was more extensive than originally thought. The procedure repaired everything and he’s expected to recover fully, but he’s out indefinitely and will now likely miss the rest of the season. [NHL]