The New York Islanders return to Nassau Coliseum tonight, where they will play 21 home games and current players, alumni, and many fans are frankly more than thrilled to call home.
And no, it has nothing to do with scoreboard positioning.
Leaver your First Islanders Goal (FIG) picks here for tonight’s game against the Blue Jackets.
- As the Isles return to their original stomping grounds, Stan Fischler remembers some of the ‘70s unsung heroes. [Isles]
- No but for real, the Islanders are looking forward to this thing. [Isles]
- So are fans and media. [IslesSeat podcast]
- So are the announcers, and TV watchers will now enjoy an actual center ice camera view. [Newsday]
- So is the owner, but he’s taking care to mention he expects approvals and reviews for the Belmont arena to proceed just fine. [Newsday]
- A little more on the Islanders marketing “Fishsticks” book. [Islanders Insight]
- Great feature on “the sign guy” who is looking forward to the Coliseum return, too. [News 12]
- Devon Toews’ current and past coaches agree it’s “just a matter of time” before he becomes an effective regular in the NHL. [Athletic]
- After a few maintenance days, Toews was back in practice ahead of the Sound Tigers’ facing Providence. [CT Post | Soundin’ Off]
- They’re selling the Fisherman jersey again. [Isles]
Torts and @CamAtkinson13 know they'll be playing in a historic building Saturday night.#CBJ pic.twitter.com/ub0FCxRHrQ— Columbus Blue Jackets (@BlueJacketsNHL) November 30, 2018
Last night’s NHL scores include a Capitals win over the Devils, though Tom Wilson was ejected because he’s Tom Wilson (no further discipline from the league), who just can’t help himself.
- Ron Hextall was “stunned” by the 20 seconds it took to be fired by the Flyers, and feels kind of screwed, because they made a rash decision. “We saw Washington, they loaded up the year before, they win last year with a team that wasn’t as good as the year before. This is really an unpredictable game...” [AP | Courier]
- Lots and lots of random words about Wayne Gretzky and Patrick Laine and stuff. [Athletic]
- Now waived and demoted, the Scott Darling contract cost some jobs. [Canes Country]
- The CWHL responds to its top investor cutting ties. [Ice Garden]
- A little more on Rick Middleton, a sublime “anybody’s dad” talent whose number was retired by the Bruins the other night. [SCOC]
- Apparently today at 5 p.m. is some sort of deadline for the Leafs and William Nylander or something? I don’t know. [NBC Sports]