Barry Trotz said he didn’t like the first period, thinking the Isles were too tentative and respectful, but liked the way they played the rest of the way outside of the power play. He also wondered whether four games in six nights was having an effect.
- More on that and other things about last night: [LHH (including Trotz’s remarks after receiving his Cup ring) | Isles | NHL | Newsday]
- The Isles’ continued success against the Hurricanes puts the extreme ends of “shot volume” vs. “shot quality” in relief. [Athletic]
- The definitive Uni Watch gift guide includes a book on the development and the lessons of the Fish Sticks era Isles marketing and merchandising. [ESPN]
- In praise of Trotz, who commands respect from both locker rooms, even two hours before game time. [Newsday’s Mark Herrmann]
Lee: "If you look at our PP tonight vs. the past few nights, it's much better. We're getting looks. A couple of them, we obviously had trouble getting in the zone, but that's going to happen. It obviously looks brutal and it's frustrating to watch, but we had some good chances."— Brian Compton (@BComptonNHL) November 27, 2018
“They had opportunities, we had opportunities and power plays where we had to take control of the game and we weren’t able to get that done. That’s what champions do. They find ways to get it done. And we will get there.” #Isles pic.twitter.com/w62xJmeP7s— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) November 27, 2018
- In a surprising move, the Flyers fired — sorry, “relieved” — Ron Hextall of GM duties. [BSH | NHL | Flyers]
- After “difference of philosophy,” What does this mean about what’s next for the Flyers? [BSH | Courier Post | NBC] It’s a complicated legacy for Hextall. [TSN] Was it because he didn’t heed other perspectives? [NBC] The bosses will have a presser with media this morning.
- Free agency cautionary tales: The Canadiens put Karl Alzner on waivers. [HEOTP]
- More on the Schmaltz-Strome trade: Chicago always trades its first rounders, while Arizona was done “hoping” for Strome to be what they want. [TSN]
- Daniel Carcillo speaks out about OHL hazing. [TSN]
- Tonight the Stars face the Oilers and Ken Hitchcock, who left an impact in his short return to Dallas. [Dallas News]
- Five summer free agents who haven’t worked out include Jan Kovar, though at least there the Isles cut bait early enough for it to not really be an unwanted anchor. [THN]
Fighting in the Age of Loneliness: Jon Bois, the man who brought you the far, far future of football, now takes on MMA. [SB Nation]