I’m not too sure how it’s November 1 already, but here we are. The Islanders finished an October that featured only three home games at 6-4-1. If you asked me, on the morning of October 5, if I thought they’d actually start 6-4-1, I would have a tough time saying yes - in fact, I don’t think I could.
Not a great record by any means, but it’s a little better than mediocre. It would behoove them to tank (and the underlying numbers are still poor, so perhaps that was their plan), but if they’re not going to, hopefully they at least keep it interesting in the standings. Could you imagine if they make the playoffs?
Hold on there, Steve, for the love of God. It’s November 1. A lot of time for this team to come back to Earth. Let’s get through tonight first.
They host the Penguins tonight to complete the home-and-home set; FIG picks go here.
In their own words: “Everything is kind of clicking for us right now.”
“Everything is kind of clicking on all cylinders.”#Isles practice day updates: pic.twitter.com/aqW6U5r1IC— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) October 31, 2018
- Staple makes a fine point, one that I think many of us have felt thus far, based on some of the comments: something seems different with Barry Trotz behind the bench. A new kind of poise we’re not even remotely used to seeing with this team. [The Athletic]
- After the three game road sweep, they sit one point back of Pittsburgh for first in the Metro, and have no plans to stop there. [Newsday]
- Christopher Gibson is up on loan to replace Robin Lehner, but it appears he doesn’t need IR, so it’s only temporary; Tom Kuhnhackl, who has already cleared waivers, was sent to Bridgeport to even out the numbers. [Soundin’ Off]
- Tonight’s game will feature the debut of the new third jerseys, which are decidedly “meh.” They’ll wear them two more times in November. [Islanders]
- Leo Komarov has quickly become the clown in the locker room, giving his road lockermate Mat Barzal fits. [Islanders]
- The Isles, themselves a Long Island staple, will honor another Long Island staple this year. They will hold “Billy Joel Night” when they host the Red Wings at the Coliseum on my birthday, December 15 - and, well, I’m stapled to Long Island, that’s for sure (I live at home, is the joke). There will be a lot of his music and the first 10,000 fans in attendance will receive a Billy Joel Islanders bobblehead, the true mark of honor. [Newsday | NHL]
- Last night’s NHL score. Only one game: the Canucks beat the Blackhawks 4-2 at home. Spooooooky.
- Jonathan Quick will be out for an indefinite amount of time as he rehabs from surgery to repair a torn meniscus, and things just keep getting worse for the Kings. [Kings]
- The Jets and the Panthers are in Helsinki, Finland right now as part of the 2018 NHL Global Series, and Winnipeg grinder Andrew Copp has written a post to detail his experiences exploring the city. [NHL]
- Dan Rosen’s weekly mailbag for the league site features an Ilya Sorokin mention. [NHL]
- And Elliotte Friedman’s 31 Thoughts features a Nick Leddy mention, as well as a tidbit about Pat Quinn’s Flyers losing to the Isles in the 1980 Stanley Cup Final. [Sportsnet]
- Yesterday was Halloween. I’m lame and didn’t participate, but players in the NHL live for this, and many of the costumes did not disappoint. [NHL]