It’s going to be six months of fans assessing how the new Islanders regime is assessing the pieces it has. Last night was an apt first chapter.
Thomas Greiss stole the game! Valtteri Filppula kicked off scoring with a savvy veteran finish! And Mathew Barzal did his thing, drawing a penalty as regulation time expired and then setting up the Josh Bailey winner after some good corner play by new captain Anders Lee.
As Jenny noted in the recap, the Lee-Nelson-Eberle is a trio of shooters that likely needs work, but Nelson exhibited evidence of Trotz’s impact in tracking back. Among other concerns (like getting outshot and chanced each period).
But, two points.
- Recaps on last night. [LHH | Newsday | Isles “Bailey is an undercover goalscorer.” | Canes Country | Athletic (Staple) | Islanders Insight]
- Barry Trotz knows it wasn’t pretty, and a work in progress. [NHL]
- Hearing Lee announced as captain was a nice surprise. Likewise, a call to him from Denis Potvin. He, the team, and the boss all sound thrilled, and perhaps it’s an indication of their plans with the pending free agent. Perhaps. [LHH | Isles | Lee’s reaction | Newsday | Athletic]
- Before the opener, I joined Dan and Mike on Islanders Anxiety podcast and I shared many of my anxieties. [LHH]
- The Skinny on the opener and the season ahead. Brock Nelson will be the Islanders’ 31st 100-goal scorer. [NYI Skinny]
- The latest in an eternal series: Area residents concerned about traffic, way of life. [Fios on Belmont complaints]
- Which Islander are you? (I got Boychuk.) [MSG]
- Something further on the Islanders audio stream that the Devils are also using. [Isles]
- The Sound Tigers start with all numbers 40 and below. Chris Bourque doesn’t get 17 (that’s Dal Colle). Kyle Burroughs and Ben Halmstrom share the captaincy. And Jan Kovar...? [Soundin’ Off]
- These are brief but appreciated: FanPost check-ins from faraway fans in the English Isles and in another galaxy. A good reminder that FanPosts are there for you to pen editorials, report on your experience, or simply have fun with.
Trotz post-game with Shannon:
How about a for Thomas Greiss? 45 saves tonight for the @NYIslanders goalie!— MSG Networks (@MSGNetworks) October 5, 2018
Barry Trotz goes over his performance with @ShannonHogan. #Isles pic.twitter.com/woagX3rIQx
Narrator: "They did not used to kill penalties."— Dominik & LHHFriends (@LHHockey) October 5, 2018
Last night’s NHL scores included the Blues pulling a Carolina, the Predators (in town Saturday) beating the Smurfs, and a wild 7-6 Pens OT win over the Capitals.
Toolbag Wilson plans to appeal his quarter-season suspension. [NHL]