The New York Islanders played what Barry Trotz called their “worst first period” of the season last night in Pittsburgh, but good goaltending and good fortune allowed them to reach the second period tied, 2-2. Then the team steadily leveraged its position on the way to victory.
They’ll have a rematch in Brooklyn Thursday.
- About last night [LHH | Isles | Newsday | PensBurgh | Trib Live (with a bonus “hard but not smart” quote from Mike Sullivan)]
- It was a somber night in Pittsburgh due to the domestic terrorism at the Tree of Life synagogue over the weekend. [Newsday]
- Where are the Islanders shots coming from? Cary Haber took a look. [LHH]
- During the visit to Pittsburgh, Tom Kuhnhackl caught up with his old Cup-winning mates. [Isles | Trib Live | Newsday]
- In Bridgeport, working back from injury, Michael Dal Colle was a full participant in practice. [Soundin’ Off]
- The Sound Tigers picked up the pieces after a blowout loss in Providence. [CT Post]
- Josh Ho-Sang thinks the Isles’ opening roster was decided over the summer (likely true), that he hasn’t gotten much chance to prove himself in Bridgeport (debatable), but Lou Lamoriello is “a great man” (no really!). [Post]
Just to be clear after seeing some responses to this story: Ho-Sang was gushing in his admiration for Lamoriello, calling him "a great man." He added, "I have no issues" with #Isles organization. Whoever's doing, he is just understandably frustrated. https://t.co/POSai1wMqL— Brett Cyrgalis (@BrettCyrgalis) October 30, 2018
In Central Florida, or in range? There’s a meet-up planned for Isles fans on occasion of the Nov. 8 game:
Attention Tampa area Isles fans! We’ll be getting together at Ferg’s - across from Amelie arena before the Isles game on 11/8. Come hang with us!— IslesMeetup_Tampa (@islesmeetup_TPA) October 30, 2018
Check out Ferg’s website for more info on the venue https://t.co/c7yfDR2IWZ
Last night’s NHL scores include several Metro losses, so that’s cool.
- Nazem Kadri explains how the Flames stopped the Leafs in the neutral zone. [The Point Hockey]
- On the Panthers’ trip to Finland, Nick Bjugstad blogs about stuff. [NHL]
- Also on that trip back to his homeland, Aleksander Barkov talks about adjusting to his role as captain at 23. [NHL]
- Revisiting some classics in the NHL tradition of team Halloween parties. [Athletic]
- Some very digestible thoughts (like, 60 seconds’ worth) about different kinds of statistics and what we aim to describe/predict when using them. [Casual Kathy]
- Zach Sanford lost his dad during training camp. He did an interview with the Athletic, but here’s a first-person narrative for the Blues official site.