There is a corner of the IslesTwitter-web with a theory, one that may become more pronounced over time, that the Great Proven Cup Winner Lou Lamoriello knows this is a lost year, so he added players on short-term deals who improve “the culture” while still enabling losses on the way to boost lottery odds for top 2019 draft prospect Jack Hughes.
It’s a neat theory. But then Leo Komarov is signed for four years.
#Isles Team Relative Season Shot Attempt Rates (Min 3 GP)— Carey Haber (@habermetrics) October 25, 2018
- THINKING THAT SIGNING LEO KOMAROV TO A FOUR YEAR DEAL WAS A BAD IDEA
- Clutterbuck has the same rate for shot attempts for and against... and that is the best mark on the team.
- Broadly, these results are just awful. pic.twitter.com/YXY8XZnrJ1
- Because, you know, the Islanders could probably use Devon Toews about now. [Newsday]
- “I’ve never seen a shift like that.” —Ryan Hitchcock on three minutes of zone time for the Sound Tigers, all of it occupied by Tanner Fritz. [CT Post]
- Kieffer Bellows is already fitting in as a pro. (Check back later today for an interview.) [Sound Tigers]
- Vaguely guarded Bridgeport injury notes. [Soundin’ Off]
- The Islanders launched an anti-bullying initiative. [Isles]
- Recalling Isles alumnus Adrian Aucoin. [Isles]
Last night’s NHL scores include Jaroslav Halak logging another shutout for the Bruins during his bid to unseat the under-fire Tukka Rask.
Halak was .933 heading into tonight. So far 18 saves of 18 shots tonight.... I still think perhaps Snow's biggest blunder was sending Halak to BPT, causing Greiss to go from backup to starting almost all games (was it 30 of next 33?) in a week's time 2 seasons ago.— Travis Flynn (NDRE) (@NDRedEagle) October 26, 2018
At least the Rangers are really bad too...
I.. uh.. OK pic.twitter.com/MAi2i3bQ7u— Dimitri Filipovic (@DimFilipovic) October 26, 2018
Quinn: “That was, really, probably as poor as we played all year. One of the things I think we’ve done a good job of is skating and competing, and that wasn’t the case tonight. We have to get back to work on Saturday. That was just not acceptable.” #NYR— Brett Cyrgalis (@BrettCyrgalis) October 26, 2018
The Blues improved on paper this summer but...something is off.
Yeo: “Heck my job should be in question right now. Of course that comes with the trade. But I’m not going to coach to try to save my job. I’m going to coach to try to win the Stanley Cup. I believe in this group so whatever we need every single day, I’m going to try to do that.”— Jeremy Rutherford (@jprutherford) October 26, 2018
- In a lengthy judgment, Gary Bettman rejects d-bag Tom Wilson’s appeal and upholds his 20-game suspension, which puts him in the company of fellow Caps fan hero D*le H*nter. [NHL]
- 31 Thoughts has random topics including the slumping Sergei Bobrovsky, who some people expect will land on Long Island. [Sportsnet]
- Former NHLer Zach Boychuk is a Twitter farmer, basically. [Athletic]