The Islanders will wrap up their season series with the Sharks and their Tennesseean and Californian road trip tonight in San Jose. They’re off until Wednesday after tonight’s game, so take a nap today or something because you’re not going to want to miss this game.
There was no update on Robin Lehner, pulled from the game Thursday night likely to go through concussion protocol after Dion Phaneuf’s shot caught his mask. Hopefully, we get one today.
FIG picks for this late night battle can be deposited in the link beginning this sentence. 10:30 p.m. puck drop.
- Scott Mayfield didn’t crack the lineup opening night, but since being inserted for Luca Sbisa on Columbus Day, he has made it difficult to take him out. He’s been very impressive and leads Isles defensemen in scoring. [Newsday]
- The production from the bottom six forwards has been a big help through the Islanders’ first six games, but the top six needs to pick up the slack if they want to win or compete consistently, because the bottom six isn’t gonna keep scoring like this. [The Athletic]
- The Isle Seat Podcast hosts a meetup round table episode. [SoundCloud]
- Craig Custance pens a piece examining the top 25 pending UFAs in the surprisingly deep class of 2019, rife with candidates to actually make it to free agency. Anders Lee, Jordan Eberle, and Brock Nelson all make the list, with varying likelihoods of them sticking around, and the Isles are also the only team mentioned in regard to elite goalie Sergei Bobrovsky, who doesn’t appear to want to sign with the Blue Jackets. Hmmmmmmmm. [The Athletic]
- Stan Fischler recalls each game of the Islanders stunning comeback from down 3-0 in the 1975 semifinals to tie the Penguins at 3-3; next week, he’ll complete the comeback in Game 7. [Maven’s Memories]
- The Sound Tigers gave up a go-ahead goal with about two minutes left, then tied the game with a few seconds left, then won it the game in OT on Mike Sislo’s wrister. [CT Post | Soundin’ Off | FanPost recap by Rant6196]
Watch as Mike Sislo comes through in the clutch and scores the OT winner! pic.twitter.com/BGgtWsPmGc— Bridgeport Sound Tigers (@TheSoundTigers) October 20, 2018
- Last night’s NHL scores. Three games on a Friday evening, three more than last Friday. Still not over it, I’m sorry.
- After their collapse on home ice against the friggin’ Islanders, the Kings are looking for answers and trying not to panic. Hehehehehehe! [The Athletic]
- Longtime enforcer Jordin Tootoo has announced his retirement after 13 seasons in the NHL. He said he’s going to devote his time to giving back to Indigenous communities. [NHL]