The New York Islanders put Tom Kuhnhackl on waivers yesterday, a move that is only refreshing by lowered expectations standards. Presumably he’ll be assigned to Bridgeport with someone else today to finalize the season-opening roster.
- It could be Devon Toews or Jan Kovar going down with Kühnhackl. Or maybe they throw us a curve. We’ll see soon. [LHH]
- Will Toews stay, or go? Barry Trotz is cagey. But I choose to believe he ultimately wants the 24-year-old to be an Isles regular. [Newsday]
- NEW! Arthur Staple’s notes on the day the rosters need to be down to 23. Andrew Ladd might go to IR, but where will Toews go? Mystery (and mistakes) abound. [The Athletic]
- At last practice, Trotz had Toews and Scott Mayfield as a presumptive fourth pair, but said either could slot into the top six. You know, because that top six includes Luca Sbisa. [Newsday]
- Mathew Barzal? He’s not worried about duplicating last year’s numbers. He’s worried about supporting the team structure. [Athletic]
- The Sound Tigers are doing their lines, until they get more players from above. [Soundin’ Off]
- And here’s the roster so far. [Sound Tigers]
- Oh, also, one modern superficial thing Lou Lamoriello can’t stop: The Isles officially revealed (loud noises!) their new third jersey, a sort of hybrid of the Stadium Series and None More Black designs. [LHH | Isles | Sports Logos]
- Mathew Barzal likes the 3rd jersey, and Mathew Barzal is stylish, thus it must be true. [Isles]
- Prospect report! The KHL has already begun, and Noah Dobson is a captain in the CHL. [Isles]
Just know that if you buy a new 3rd, you will be sporting a Refined. Striping. System.
- Oh look, Tom Wilson is still an idiot. [Yahoo]
- Seattle talks to the executive board today. They are hopeful for expansion. [The Athletic]
- New site alert! Behind the Benches outlines what role every coach does.
- Scott Hartnell says that’ll do it. [Tennesseean]
- Looking at the Lightning’s options for trading a defenseman. [Cap Space]
- Thirty-one questions, one for each team. Sometimes two. So more than 31, really. [Yahoo]
- THIRTY-ONE BOLD PREDICTIONS INCLUDING THE KNIGHTS WILL WIN THE CUP AND THE ISLANDERS HAVE PENDING FREE AGENTS. [TSN]