It was a solid effort last night in Anaheim, but John Gibson would not budge. The Isles can either find quick solace or fall deeper into the ennui with another game tonight, in Los Angeles.
Leave your First Islanders Goal picks for tonight here.
- About last night: Gibson was gooood. [LHH | Newsday | Isles]
- Barry Trotz said, “I would take that game, all year long.” Bonus reference to (lack of) passengers. [Isles TV]
- At least Casey Cizikas, the “junkyard dog,” returned to the lineup. [Newsday]
- The Ducks see the Isles as a team to reckon with under Lou Lamoriello, because reputations take a long time to change. [Newsday]
- Staple went over the Isles’ recent history on California trips, including the 2014 edition that featured an early morning beach workout ordered by Garth Snow. [Athletic]
- Luca Sbisa is a converted surfer at heart and also a fan of the original (Mighty) Ducks look. [Isles]
- The Sound Tigers tinker with special teams. [Soundin’ Off]
- Relative to the range of possibilities after the scary knockout hit he suffered playing for NCAA UConn, it’s good news for Isles 2018 pick Ruslan Iskhakov. [UConn | ESPN]
- This was fun: Josh Manson mic’d up discussing how on earth anyone can cover Barzal:
Last night’s other NHL scores include the Caps beating the Smurfs.
- The Canadiens stayed hot by delivering the Blues yet another late defeat. [Sportsnet]
- The Ducks signed holdout Nick Ritchie to a three-year deal. Everyone can be friends now. [Sportsnet]
- Does the suspension in the Matheson-Pettersson incident reflect a change in NHL disciplinary thinking? [31 Thoughts]
- This was kind of fun: An oral history of how the Blackhawks hired Joel Quenneville as “a scout,” then made him Denis Savard’s replacement behind the bench after a win four games into the season. Totally not planned, they swear. [Athletic]
- A former player and current NHL exec who probably isn’t Billy Guerin discusses marijuana use by players now that Canada has legalized. [Sportsnet]
- Imagine you had all the qualifications to coach in the NHL, but you’re a woman so...”we’re not ready.” [Raw Charge]