Part of it is that the Predators are an excellent team. Part of it is that there was a very long layoff that may have lulled them into a daze through the first period. And, undeniably, part of it is that the Islanders just aren’t very good. We may see quite a few losses like that this year. Don’t mind me, I’m just mentally preparing myself aloud for the 2018-19 season.
- Recaps from last night’s game, in which coach Barry Trotz unveiled the line blender: [LHH | Islanders | Newsday | NHL | On the Forecheck]
- Before the game, the Isles placed Casey Cizikas on IR, but he’s day-to-day and was placed on there retroactive to last week, so he could play Wednesday night in Anaheim. To make up for him, they signed Stephen Gionta to a contract from his PTO. [LHH]
- Trotz returned to Nashville last night on the 20th anniversary of the franchise’s first-ever win, a 3-2 OT victory over the visiting Hurricanes he coached them through. [Newsday]
- The Sound Tigers started off strong, but fell apart as the game wore on, and the Rochester Americans won it with less than a minute remaining in regulation to spoil their home opener. [CT Post | Soundin’ Off | Sound Tigers]
- The Worcester Railers won their first game of the season, 2-1 in OT, on the road in Reading, PA. [Railers]
- Evan Sporer delved into the Islanders’ defensive improvements in games 2 and 3 of the season, marked changes from the opener against the Hurricanes. [The Athletic]
- Stan Fischler remembers the early life and playing career of Al Arbour, best remembered, of course, for his coaching career. [Maven’s Memories]
- Last night’s NHL scores from a full slate of games.
- 2018 first overall pick Rasmus Dahlin got his first NHL goal in the Sabres shutout of the Coyotes. [VIDEO]
- It brings me negative pleasure to report that Auston Matthews already has 10 goals through 6 games. [NHL]
- Don’t wanna get too Schmaltzy around these parts, but the Schmaltz (Nick on the Blackhawks, Jordan on the Blues) brothers relished the first opportunity they had to play each other in the NHL. [NHL]