Tanner Fritz, who cleared waivers during training camp and appeared in the first two games, has been assigned to AHL Bridgeport. In related news, Andrew Ladd got a regular turn in practice again this morning, so all signs point to him coming off IR. Barry Trotz has said Ladd will definitely be on this road trip, so the stars are aligning for a Ladd return, barring setback.
As for the practice combos below, remember that Gionta is still just here on a PTO:
#Isles lines at practice today:— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) October 11, 2018
- Jan Kovar is on unconditional waivers. When unclaimed, his contract will be terminated. [LHH | Soundin’ Off]
- Arthur Staple has a piece on what the quick rejection of Jan Kovar might say about the Isles’ evaluation of roles and future handling of KHL imports. Barry Trotz said, “To be quite honest, the play of [Valtteri Filppula] made the biggest difference.” [Athletic]
- More about Trotz about the Pulock-Pelech pairing. [Newsday]
- Yes, the Dolans are exiting Oak View Group, but no that doesn’t change anything about the development of the Belmont arena. [Newsday]
- Otto Koivula is adapting to North America and its hockey in Bridgeport. Every player moves fast, he says. [CT Post]
- The PTIsles podcast talks to Andrew Gross of Newsday. [SoundCloud]
- Dan here: We had some technical issues last night, but Mike and I are going to try recording Islanders Anxiety again tonight. This wacky Islanders week is good for something, giving us a little more time.
- Sure it’s early, but what a start. Looks like the Canucks are quite lucky to have Elias Pettersson. [Cap Space]
- Patrick Maroon’s decision to take less money on a one-year deal in St. Louis came down to getting to see his son more and betting on himself. He’s grown up quite a bit since his days being dismissed by the Flyers farm team. [ESPN]
- How Gritty quickly went from “we’ve made a tremendous mistake” to “this is a THING!” with the inadvertent help of the Penguins Twitter account. [TSN]
- “I’m not sure coaches in my day would’ve allowed it, but we’re living in a different time. [31 Thoughts]
- An oral history of the young guns of Team North America at the World Cup. [Athletic]
- More on the new Rangers coach benching free agent prize (heh) Kevin Shattenkirk and Kevin Hayes. [NHL]
- It’s October, time for insta-fretting over line combos. [Copper n Blue]
- Jordan Samuels-Thomas brings a pro perspective to the Athletic.