Still three more entire days until the Islanders’ next gameday, the start of their Western road trip in Nashville.
- Barry Trotz and teammates are impressed by their wily old veteran, the Handsome Valtteri Filppula, who’s off to a nice start and wields “efficient” wisdom. (There’s a comparison to Frans Nielsen there too, but technically his name is not taken in vain.) [Newsday]
- Trotz believes in the young pairing of Ryan Pulock and Adam Pelech, who thus far are logging key responsibility. [Athletic]
- Mathew Barzal is the Islanders’ lone reason for hope. (Except, there are others...one rhymes with “Cherry Bots.”) [NBC]
- Michael Dal Colle is off to a four-point start. [Isles]
- Jeremy Smith had a good start in Bridgeport’s win Sunday. [CT Post]
- Injury updates, and a wee visit from Jacques Lemaire. [Soundin’ Off]
NHL Network is expanding its carriage of AHL games to 15 this season, including one Bridgeport-Toronto meeting in March. [NHL]
Last night’s NHL scores include the Hurricanes winning again in front of Curtis McElhinney, and the Flyers getting torched by the Sharks, among other contests.
- Heh, after logging 7:29 last game, Kevin Shattenkirk is already a healthy scratch under his new coach. [Post | Blueshirt Banter]
- A “definitive” ranking of the top 20 goalies over the last three seasons. [Sportsnet]
- Calgary’s City Council is inviting the Flames to talk about arena funding with them again. [TSN]
- Ryan Johansen is enjoying Nashville. [NBC]
- The Coyotes are off to a scoreless start, but their GM thinks they got this. [Score]
- Brian Elliott says the new chest pad restrictions on goalies are bruising his arms like crazy. (Sure it’s not the Flyers defense? nyuk nyuk nyuk) [TSN]
- Matt Murray has another concussion, which is alarming given his recent and frequent injury history. [Post-Gazette]
- Gritty is everywhere, including on new Flyers goalie Cal Pickard’s mask. [NHL]
- The ECHL will have Marvel Superhero Nights this season. [ECHL]
- Oh, piss off.