Well-regarded goalie prospects Linus Soderstrom was at Barclays Center yesterday for a look after needing surgery, reported Arthur Staple of Newsday. (He corrects an earlier tweet that suggested the injury would have him out for the season.)
Bad scoop on Soderstrom earlier. He did have surgery but likely to return to HV71 this season.— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) January 8, 2018
- Here is an Expressen report from last month noting that Soderstrom struggled with the injury (sounds like abdominal) and was heading to the States for surgery under the Islanders’ guidance after Christmas. (Remember that he’s under contract with the Isles, on loan to HV71.)
- Updating Joshua Ho-Sang’s areas to improve in Bridgeport: “He has to learn to manage the puck better and play away from the puck. Too many turnovers.” [CT Post]
- The Post’s Michael Fornabaio also provides further practice updates from Bridgeport on the new loanees (Aho, Beauvillier, Fritz expected to play) and some illness/maladies. [Soundin’ Off]
- In praise of “the other” Sebastian Aho, who already showed poise and vision in his first few NHL games. [NHL]
- Meanwhile, Jim Baumbach of Newsday dropped several updates on Belmont that may clarify things for you, including an expected timeline where official lease would not be signed until after environmental review, more talk about LIRR upgrade, and using the Coliseum in the interim.
- Here’s a key point -- environmental review should take at least a year — but the whole thread by Baumbach is worth your review:
ESD expects to be ready to do an official lease with Islanders group at Belmont in spring 2019 after an environmental review process that should last "12 to 16 months."— Jim Baumbach (@jimbaumbach) January 8, 2018
The Franson Question
The Blackhawks, who are thin on defense, put Cody Franson on waivers. Second City Hockey attempts to understand why for an “analytics darling” who also has good size, but nonetheless has bounced from a few teams.
Missing shot-suppresser Calvin de Haan for the season and bleeding goals against, they should put a claim in, right? It would seem...
Hello everyone,— Sean Tierney (@ChartingHockey) January 8, 2018
Cody Franson can help <insert your team name here>.
Thank you. pic.twitter.com/heVKqOsa6E
...But don’t bet on it.
Been asked about #Isles putting in a claim on Franson. 1) Not sure he makes it to them in waiver order (PIT is ahead of them) and 2) Is he a better 3rd pair RD option than Mayfield or Pulock? Guessing org would rather go with their own young guys. Just a hunch.— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) January 9, 2018
also didn't get many offers as an FA. Don't think he's loved around the league.— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) January 9, 2018
Assessing the areas of blame for the Islanders’ terrible slump to end 2017 and begin 2018. [THW]
And fawning over Kieffer Bellows after his big WJC. [THW]
- Speaking of blaming GMs, Peter Chiarelli takes more heat for the disappointing Oilers. [TSN | Video]
- Oh, and speaking of great WJC performances, Dahlin only affirmed his status as top draft prospect this year. [TSN]
- It’s not hockey if fans aren’t puzzled by lineup decisions. Episode: Vigneault. [Post]
- Roberto Luongo could return for the Panthers next month. Remember he was helped off in that game against the Islanders at the beginning of December. [NHL]
- Here are the bye “weeks” for all 31 teams. [SB Nation]
- If Seattle was added as an expansion team...how to realign when the Pacific already has eight teams? Bump Phoenix, maybe yank the Wings back to the West just because. [ESPN]