The Islanders are in Philly tonight to face the Flyers in a game that’s kinda large. Look for a video on Broad Street Hockey later featuring yours truly and BSH’s Steph seeing who can be more pessimistic about their team’s chances.
FIG picks go here. Johnny Boychuk could be back but he might not.
- Doug Weight wants to see some fight from his team. Not, like, actual fights, though. I think. Anyway, he and Anders Lee were in rare quote form yesterday at practice. Let’s see if it makes a difference. [Newsday]
- Oops. Forgot to add the latest episode of the IsleSeat podcast, in which Mike and Brian rant about half the roster and talk to radio voice Chris King.
- Today at 4 pm on NHL Network, Team USA faces Sweden in the semifinals of the World Juniors. Keiffer Bellows, he of six goals in six games, has been a big player for the stars and stripes. [The Hockey News]
- The Sound Tigers went from a 2-1 win to a 3-2 overtime loss in just a few minutes. [CT Post | Soundin’ Off]
- The Railers also lost in OT last night, losing 2-1 to Reading. [Railers]
- Last night’s NHL scores. Only two games, including a historically quick OT in Ottawa.
- The All Star Team captains have been announced. The rest of the rosters come out on January 10th. [NHL.com]
- The All Star jerseys have also been released and they’re... divisive. Not a fan of neon green myself but I get that making four distinct jerseys that can be used in a bunch of different combinations is tricky. [NHL.com]
- Friedman’s 31 Thoughts are Islanders free but packed with possible trade scenarios.
- The Golden Knights have signed their first big contract extension. Jonathan Marchessault, the 30-goal scorer the Panthers let go in the expansion draft, gets six years at $5 million per. [Sportsnet | KoI]
- Don’t look now, but the Kings look like a steamroller again. [ESPN]
- What new player tracking technology could look like. [Hockey Graphs]