The breaks are over, now the schedule goes into overdrive. The Islanders are back in action as they host the Panthers tonight, then are in Toronto to face the Leafs tomorrow night, followed by 12 games in February.
Ross Johnston and Tanner Fritz have been recalled after their All-Star Break returns to Bridgeport. Michael Dal Colle remained in the AHL. Casey Cizikas might play tonight, Doug Weight said.
Leave your FIG picks for tonight here.
- Don’t call it a comeback, he’s been here before: Long awaited, John Tonelli drops the puck tonight. We reminisce and reflect on why this is a big deal for fans of the original JT. [LHH]
- Increasingly expected over the last few weeks, it’s now official: The Islanders will be splitting the next three seasons between Barclays Center and Nassau Coliseum (which they’ve given a new ridiculous name but no thanks), starting with a dozen in Nassau next season. [LHH | Newsday | Times | LIBN | NHL | Post | Video of the announcement]
- John Tavares — and Alex Ovechkin, via a Ledecky story — and Doug Weight talk about playing at the Coliseum. [Isles | Newsday]
- Mike and Dan recorded this before the official Coliseum announcement, but all the questions contained herein remain. [Islanders Anxiety Podcast]
- A long read on the All-Star experience with John Tavares reflecting on his friendship and on-ice chemistry with Josh Bailey, who turned it into a large family affair. [Isles]
- Yes, John Tavares (but more specifically Jon Ledecky) said some things about the captain’s free agency decision, and yes Dan put them in the Encyclopedia. [LHH]
- The AHL All-Star Game: Christopher Gibson needed just 32 seconds to outscore eight Bridgeport All-Stars of the past, while Mitch Vande Sompel scored three goals over two mini-games. [Soundin’ Off]
- As we come out of the break, a look at the whole Metro, where 2nd through 8th are separated by five points. [NHL]
- Sad news as it seems Jaromir Jagr’s NHL career is done. He passed through the waivers and the Flames assigned him to his hometown (and owned) team, Kladno in Czechia’s 2nd division. The team cites fitness/lingering injury issues for the soon-to-be 46-year-old. [Calgary Sun | M&G | TSN]
- It’s too bad, Jagr’s ridiculously impressive career deserved a better ending. [SB Nation]
- Why the Canadiens should consider trading Shea Weber. [HEOTP]
- 10 storylines as the trade deadline nears. [NHL]
- To a man, the Oilers say they are totally getting back in this thing. [Sportsnet]
- Just the cutest childhood photos of Steven Stamkos and PK Subban, who were stars even then. [NHL]
- Jacob Trouba is the latest in a long line of significant injuries for the Jets. [NHL | Winnipeg Sun]