Another regulation loss has Doug Weight turning to the teachings of motivational psychologist Dr. Jack Sigmund N. Roy Capuano. Oh boy.
- Recaps: LHH | Newsday | NY Post | Islanders | NHL.com | NYI Skinny | SCoC
- Tanner Fritz played his first NHL game. The Islanders will need way more than him to provide a “spark” or “zip” if they’re gonna straighten themselves out. [NY Post | Newsday | Islanders]
- Before the game, Josh Bailey was named the NHL’s Second Star for December. [LHH]
- Friday night versus the Penguins is Do it For Daron night, in honor of Luke Richardson’s daughter. Teen suicide is a very difficult subject to discuss, but a necessary one. If you read one link here, make it this one. [NHL.com]
- Garth Snow needs to make a bold in-season move here, which would be his first since the Ryan Smyth deal (Thomas Vanek not withstanding) [IPB]
- The Sound Tigers’ PK is on a roll lately. [CT Post | More Soundin’ Off notes. PS They play in Wilkes-Barre tonight, I’m assuming with Anthony Beauvillier in the lineup.]
- Worcester forward Patrick McNally has signed with a team in Germany, the third Railer to depart in the last little while. So they made a trade for a defenseman. [Telegram]
- Bill Daly says not to rule out a return to the Coliseum after Jon Ledecky said it was up to the Commissioner who said the place wasn’t viable. Wake me when a press release is issued. [Newsday]
World Juniors, aka The Kieffer Bellows Show
- The Islanders 2016 first rounder had two goals as Team USA beat Russia 4-2 last night and has six for the tournament. It’s now on to Thursday’s semi-finals against Sweden. [SBN]
- Here’s what turned out to be the game-winner:
- Related: the story of Kieffer’s birth ties into his dad Brian’s short time with the Capitals and their wild ride to the 1998 Stanley Cup final [NoVa Caps fans]
- And this is just great:
Kieffer Bellows reaction to someone wearing his Dad's North Stars jersey after scoring is one of the best things I've ever seen pic.twitter.com/7NQBYCLSbS— CJ Fogler (@cjzero) January 3, 2018
Around the rink
- Last night’s NHL scores. An OT loss to the Capitals was enough to slide the Hurricanes into eighth place the East.
- The Golden Knights - you know, the expansion team - are riding a 10 game points streak and have found a revelation in “Wild” Bill Karlsson. [TSN.ca]
- The US Men’s Olympic team was announced on Monday and there are some interesting names on it. [SBN]
- One of them was Jordan Greenway, the talented, hulking Wild pick that will be a pioneer when he suits up for the USA in Korea. [Sporting News]
- The US Women’s Olympic team was also announced and there were some interesting and notable names not on it. Did John Tortorella and Dean Lombardi pick this group, too? [The Ice Garden]
No one tells a story better than Clark Gillies.