Good morning, friends. The Islanders are in Las Vegas to take on the dominant-at-home Golden Knights. Both teams play best when they’re flying up and down the ice, so tonight should be a thrill ride heading into the All-Star break.
Leave your FIG Picks for the game here.
Almost every team is in action tonight; the Kings are off tonight, what with there being 31 teams.
- The Islanders enjoyed their day off in Vegas, but responsibly - no one was too hungover yesterday. They’re to be all business. [Newsday]
- The Nassau Coliseum plan will be yet another factor John Tavares considers in his contract decision. [Newsday]
- Spizzwolf breaks down some video of nasty Isles turnovers. Superbly, I might add. [LHH]
- Mitch Vande Sompel was selected to replace one of the two Sound Tigers currently with the Islanders in the AHL All-Star Game. He’s enjoying life in Bridgeport. [ESNY]
- Chris Gibson was also named as a replacement. [Soundin’ Off]
- The Sound Tigers earned a hard-fought, feisty win against Springfield. [CT Post | Soundin’ Off]
- Bridgeport coach Brent Thompson joined the Isle Seat Podcast.
Around the League
- Last night’s NHL scores. There were only two games - both three-pointers that ended in the road team’s favor.
- Brad Marchand was suspended five games for his egregious elbow of the Devils’ Marcus Johansson. Coach Bruce Cassidy defended the contact, saying he was protecting himself. However, he clearly flung his elbow out at Johansson’s face as he was diving across the crease. He’s still eligible to represent the Bruins at All-Star Weekend in Tampa. [SCOC | NBC Sports Boston]
- Elliotte Friedman thinks teams will ask the Avalanche about Tyson Barrie. The Islanders should be one of them.
- Joe Thornton will miss a significant amount of time with an MCL injury. [FTF]
- It is extremely important to have two good goalies. There’s a graph in there that may be painful for Isles fans. [Sportsnet]
- The Oilers were decimated 5-0 on the ice, and off it, by the Lowetide podcast.
- The Maple Leafs have had a home-ice disadvantage this season. [TheLeafsNation]
- Brandon Dubinsky left the Blue Jackets’ road trip for personal and/or medical issues, depending on which of these articles you click on. [SBN | Columbus Dispatch]
- Former Canadiens and colleagues bid a fond farewell to Red Fisher, the legendary sportswriter who passed recently. [Sportsnet]
- An original Washington Capital reflects on the expansion Golden Knights. [USA Today]
- Hartford Whalers license plates are being sold, and the funds will support a dialysis center. [SI.com]
- Jonathan Quick will be “skipping” All-Star Weekend. [JFTC]
- The Edmonton Oilers have a home penalty kill below 50%. Yes, you read that right. [SBN]