It’s Saturday. Hockey is around the corner.
- Rookie camp hath beguneth and it’s a big one for young Mathew Barzal. Meanwhile, Josh Ho-Sang is already smiling. [Islanders]
- Johnny’s back, back again and doing crazy stick work already. Guess that thumb is feeling good. [Islanders]
- Jordan Eberle wants to make his mark as an Islander. [Brooklyn Daily Eagle]
- Eberle also says that the legend of he and Tavares at the 2009 World Juniors is a little overblown. He wants to play the Oilers in the Cup final and show them what they lost. Hey, I’m all for it. [Toronto Sun]
- At the Winter Classic press conference at Citi Field (more on that below), Gary Bettman was asked about the Islanders and Nassau Coliseum and the commish said that the old barn just isn’t a viable option right now. I’m not sure why this is newsworthy since A. he’s been saying more or less the same thing since April; and B. this is the same Gary Bettman that fought tooth and nail to get a brand new arena in Glendale and is now trying to get the Coyotes another new one someplace else in Arizona. He’s not about old buildings. Anyway, if you wanted to hear him say it (or even if you didn’t want to), there you go. [More at The Post]
- The Canucks signed Bo Horvat to a six-year, $5.5 million AAV extension because he’s one of their few good players and they have to pay someone. [Nucks Misconduct]
- The Rangers and Sabres are still playing the Winter Classic at Citi Field on January 1, 2018. Let’s hope whatever bad mojo that was causing every Met to get injured this season has been cast out by then. [NHL.com]