This gross-ass weather wouldn't seem to indicate that hockey starts up in a week and a half, but alas.
The Isles host the Devils tonight at Barclays Center. You can watch the 7:00 start on MSG+. No word on who's playing tonight.
- The Bridgeport Sound Tigers open their camp today, but the Islanders trimmed the AHLers from the NHLers well before they had to. It is pretty clear who will be on the roster come Opening Night. [Newsday | LHH | CT Post with more info on Bridgeport's camp]
- Kieffer Bellows, one of three camp cuts that was returned to his amateur team, began play for the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL and offered two goals and an assist toward their victory over the Everett Silvertips. He joined the 'Hawks after leaving Boston University.
- Josh Ho-Sang was excited to be back in Bridgeport, a place he called home for the better part of last season, for the senior squad's preseason game against the Rangers Friday night. [CT Post]
- Ho-Sang was so happy to be back in his brief stomping grounds, that he took over the ice. He's grabbing the attention of many, including the coaching staff. [Newsday]
- Calvin de Haan may be playing this season with his next contract in mind, whether that will be here or elsewhere.
Other News & Notes
- NBC, carrier of both the NHL and the Olympics, is giving a metaphorical one-finger salute to the former by blacking them out during the Winter Olympics. You may or may not have heard that the NHL will not be participating in they Olympics. [NY Post]
- Get to know Minnesota high school goalie Makayla Pahl, who has decided to play boys' hockey after having done so for most of her career. [The Ice Garden]
- Blake Wheeler has called out Donald Trump on Twitter for his comments regarding protests against police brutality and institutional racism during the National Anthem, reminding him of their First Amendment rights of freedom of speech. [Sporting News]