There’s not really much additional news since yesterday, but one day of an oversized Scott Gordon profile (and Schremp!) staring at you was enough torture for the weekend.
- Man, I’m always struck by how much Kieffer Bellows looks like his dad, who was the best. Yes it makes me feel old. Also: Bellows isn’t stressing about being unsigned, always kept his eye on his WHL rightsholder, and thinks leaving the NCAA for Portland will do the trick. [Dub]
- Rookie camp starts in a week! Here’s a peek at the roster. [@StapeNewsday]
- Ilya Sorokin shutout alert. [@KHL]
- I mean, it’s one, two, three, four teams removed from his brief Isles tenure, but it will do for a slow day: Thomas Vanek signed a one-year, $2 million deal with the Canucks. [TSN | SB Nation]
Everything about the Vanek Situation, from the acquisition to the departure, was a double-edged sword in which the Isles chose the sharper edge for self-infliction. But thankfully he said no. Heavens, at least that.
Doug has said the goalie who plays better is the one who will play. Will depend on camp but think Halak starts opening night. https://t.co/nEok6T53dL— Brian Compton (@BComptonNHL) September 1, 2017
- In far more significant news, the Blue Jackets locked in RFA center Alexander Wennberg for six years, just shy of $29.4 million. [NHL]
- The David Pastrnak impasse in Boston is getting “greasy” and on the verge of “a dark direction,” with the Bruins wanting him to sign for Forsberg money while he points to Draisaitl money. [Puck Daddy]
- DID FEDERER EVER TALK ABOUT NINO? Is all I’m saying. (Because we need a second day of that.) To force a connection to this Nico Hischier story. [SB Nation]