Yesterday the Islanders in rookie camp got to skate at a refurbished Nassau Coliseum, no longer gloriously unsponsored but home again at least for a preseason game on Sunday.
Tonight they play against fellow prospects in Philadelphia, for a semi-official preseason game against the Flyers’ rookies. See what’s up with the Flyers at Broad Street Hockey.
- Yesterday’s news included a 4-6 week “upper body” injury absence for Alan Quine, which means yet more roster room for the pups. [LHH | Isles | NBC]
- The rookies were psyched to skate at the home of the dynasty, even if only for a practice. [Isles]
- The Islanders regulars are excited to go back there too, even if just for a wee exhibition game. [Newsday video]
- I kind of wanted to read this Islanders team preview until I got to the bizarre descriptors: “contractual mistake Mikhail Grabovski and solid goalie prospect Jean-Francois Berube.” If concussions ending what was otherwise a really effective career make you a “contractual mistake” and if all it takes to be a “solid goalie prospect” is...oh, man I don’t know what to tell you. [Sportsnet]
- Elliotte Friedman and his (now 31) Thoughts are back! Lots on contract stalemates and such, plus fawning praise of John Tavares by Taylor Hall. [Sportsnet]
- News that may shock you, excellently framed: Neither John Tavares nor other players care about your John Tavares Contract Distraction questions. [Newsday video]
- Pictures of the rookies at rookie camp, with rookie expressions. [Newsday]
- The Sound Tigers signed four mostly vets, while Ben Holmstrom gets a PTO invite to Islanders camp. [CT Post | BST]
- Erik Karlsson’s foot surgery recovery is sounding gruesome, and I really hope this doesn’t damage his career or mobility. Dude had one of the greatest playoffs in memory last spring, but it’d be a shame if he sacrificed that ability by doing it through injury. [SB Nation]
- Oh look, Flames ownership isn’t happy they aren’t getting what they want from the public for a new arena. [M&G | SBN | Sportsnet]
- The Flames’ press conference was referred to as “hastily called” with Gary Bettman in town, which begs disbelief, but the coincidentally timed Seattle news conference about an areener there was called off because of a mayoral sex abuse scandal. Welp. [NBC]
- That’s not keeping the buzz and arena plan unveiling from getting out though. And Canada is watching because “Make It Six Again” isn’t a slogan they’re into. [Sportsnet]
- The Devils awarded a fan with season tickets for getting 10,000 retweets. [SB Nation]
- Southeast teams gather to donate $2.7 million for Hurricane Irma relief. [SBN]