It’s mid August, dead center in the dog days of summer hockey news, but the Islanders inadvertently provided some roster fodder to chew on yesterday.
- That fodder is Shane Prince’s foot. Or rather, his ankle, which started as a high ankle sprain last season and finally required surgery after unfruitful rehab. [LHH | NHL]
- Calvin de Haan talks with team media about his summer. [Isles]
- Meanwhile, in Nassau...Robert Brodsky teed this up perfectly: “Research group argues Ed Mangano Hub vision is outdated, lacks housing and transit options need to transform area.” [Newsday]
- The Islanders and Flyers are in middle-bubble territory in the Metro, so if things go south for one but not the other maybe they...trade John Tavares/Claude Giroux to the other? I see. [Red Line]
- Something called “Dune Deck at Westhampton Beach” opened with people like Eli Manning and Doug Weight there, so...an Islander in Page Six! [Page Six]
- Enjoy some Logan Cockerill highlights and prospect hype, hype away:
Lots of Islanders scoring in Da Beauty League, but we’ll just leave you with this casual marker from Kieffer Bellows.
I mean...how is this a thing?
if you're uncomfortable declaring Matt Murray a top 10 goalie in the NHL because of a lack of games, Bayes rule can help. he very likely is pic.twitter.com/5esD5lY8oY— Cole Anderson (@CrowdScoutSprts) August 14, 2017
- Matt Murray is the only goalie on the SB Nation Top 25 Under 25 countdown. [SB Nation]
- Maybe it’s the name? It seems like the Wild screwed up with hot prospect Kirill Kaprizov, who signed for three years in the KHL. [Hockey Wilderness]
- Alexey Marchenko, claimed from the Wings on waivers late in the season, is now waived by the Leafs and appears headed back to the KHL. [TSN]
- How will Ken Hitchcock improve the Stars’ penalty kill? [Defending Big D]
- Continuing their summer “What If?” series, “there are a number of terrible decisions made by the Flyers that can be directly traced to losing Chris Pronger.” [Puck Daddy]
- Phil Kessel trolls the Toronto media who ripped his diet by...eating hot dogs out of the Cup. [Puck Daddy | SB Nation | TSN]
- Longtime Princeton women’s coach departs to coach the Penn State women’s team. [Salem News]