It was never a question that the New York Islanders would re-sign restricted free agent Adam Pelech. They like him, he played almost 50 games with the club last season, he’d come in cheap, they’d keep him in a mix of a mere eight waiver-requiring defensemen on NHL contracts.
But four years.
On the one hand it’s cheap ($1.6 million per), on the other hand it’s a sign that they believe he’s a regular rather than a bubble guy who might become a legit regular.
That stance appeared clear already based on how they used him last season, but now...well he better become a legit regular. Otherwise that’s expensive insurance that might do things like block higher-end prospects (Devon Toews anyone?).
- That’s the slightly shorter version of this: Pelech and the Isles reached terms on a four-year deal for an average of $1.6 million per. It feels silly to quibble about such bottom-shelf sundry, but it’s a cap world. For his part, you (should) feel great for Pelech, who knows he still needs to establish himself. [LHH | Isles | Newsday | Soundin’ Off]
- Why yes, there was an update to the John Tavares Will He Encyclopedia yesterday, for posterity’s sake, since Sporting News Canada just kind of said yeah, he’ll make a lot of money from the Isles or someone else. [LHH]
- Kieffer Bellows is serious about this whole, one season in Portland, the next season in the NHL thing. He says he didn’t think about leaving the NCAA until the end of the season. [NHL]
- Growing up on a farm shaped Saskatchewan Hall of Famer Bob Bourne. [News Optimist]
Prospect Porn! Otto Koivula edition:
First GIF of the new season is for NYI prospect Otto Koivula pic.twitter.com/jdsG1yaJgI— Corey Pronman (@coreypronman) July 24, 2017
- Damn good to hear Kyle Okposo playing and feeling healthy again. [NHL] Here he is in his own words. [Sabres]
- Matt Duchene and Gabriel Landeskog have no chemistry. [TSN]
- Revisiting 1992-93, when new Sabre Pat LaFontaine racked up the points. (His trade counterpart didn’t do too shabbily either.) [Score]
- Puck Daddy goes all Page Six (“Kovalchuk looked relaxed, holding what appears to be...”) on Ilya Kovalchuk, who thinks he’ll be back in the NHL after one more season in the KHL. [Puck Daddy]
- Want to help promote and cover women’s hockey at the Ice Garden? Seriously, all you need is a voice and a few minutes. [Ice Garden]
- Coming off .901 in 50 games last season, Jimmy Howard will be the Red Wings starter. [WIIM]
- Keep following along with the SB Nation top 25 NHLers under 25. [SB Nation]