It is a Rob Thomas day, my friends. "Man, it's a hot one." How "Smooth" was that? (I'm sorry.)
- ICYMI: Greg Cronin's official designation is now associate coach (which is apparently drastically different enough from "assistant coach" that it was termed a promotion). [Islanders | LHH]
- In appreciation of Casey Cizikas: this article analyzes Cizikas' play over the last few years and whether his extension is worth and folks, I gotta tell ya, the term still sucks but $3.5 million AAV isn't as bad as I originally thought, given this evidence.
- Remember Rob Davison? The guy who scored the hysterical cross-ice goal against Vesa Toskala and the Maple Leafs? The Leafs just hired him to their front office. Attacking the problem at the source, it appears. [Sporting News]
- Matt Finn, not tendered an offer by the Sound Tigers, signed with the Charlotte Checkers in the Hurricanes organization. Bon voyage! [Soundin' Off]
- Stan Fischler runs down how the three metro area teams survived the summer. Oh, Stan. [MSG]
- Anders Lee helps out his local TV news station with some trick shot entertainment. I recommend you watch, if only to contrast how good Lee is at this with how bad the news folks are at it.
- The Isles Fantasy Camp that Dan had written about last week was a fine success. A jolly good time, even! [Islanders]
- EJ Hradek and Doug Weight were mic'd up for the Blue-White scrimmage at the Fantasy Camp, and Weight is a very funny dude. Also, extremely odd to see Garth Snow in skater's gear instead of goalie gear.
Not Islanders News
- Following the NHL journey of Brian Campbell - I completely forgot he was ever with the Sabres. [Puck Daddy]
- The AHL will be allowing players on minor league contracts to play in the Olympics - so those on NHL/AHL two-ways will not be allowed to attend, from my understanding. [Washington Post]
- Colton Parayko and the Blues are divided on contract negotiations with arbitration looming, but this article states that a short-term deal wouldn't be the worst thing from the Blues angle.
- Brandon Pirri will be heading to Switzerland next season. Larry Brooks makes sure the door hits his ass on the way out. [NY Post]
- Valeri Nichushkin will return to the Stars in 2018-19, probably staying in Russia this season for Olympic purposes. [NHL.com]
- Mile High Hockey takes a look at Matt Duchene and what he's worth.
- A very thorough analysis of zone entries and exits from Original Six Analytics. I plan to read through it more when I get home from work today.
- The folks in Thunder Bay, Ontario will get a treat when the Celebrity Hockey Classic comes to visit.
Oh, and Brock Nelson's team won their game in the Da Beauty League last night, on the heels of Nelson's hat trick.