Another day, another old Oiler makes his way to Brooklyn. When’s Jari Kurri getting here?
- After much build-up, Kelly Buchberger has finally joined Doug Weight’s staff. Dude’s been around the block more than once. [LHH | Islanders | Edm. Journ]
- An unintentionally funny bit from that Edmonton Journal article: The legendary Hotel Weight gets a new tenant.
Buchberger reportedly will be living at Weight’s house as a boarder because he and wife Carla are empty-nesters these days and Carla has a job in Edmonton. “She’ll commute back and forth,” he said.
- Meanwhile, Monday’s ex-Oiler and new goalie coach Fred Brathwaite was on Oilers Now with Bob Stauffer (who blocked me on Twitter for reasons I still don’t know).
- Oilers writer says Oilers fans have gotten over the Jordan Eberle trade in 2,000 word article about Oilers fans getting over the Jordan Eberle trade. [Edm. Jour.]
- Who’s in and out of the Matt Duchene trade market. [SBN]
- The idea of a Belmont arena is a complicated one. The idea of the Islanders moving back to Nassau Coliseum is not. The answer is no. [Newsday]
- Huge soccer fan Josh Ho-Sang will be at a Cosmos game in Regina next week. [650 CKOM]
Sound Tigers Stuff
- The Sound Tigers’ schedule is out. Plan your year accordingly.
- Michael Fornabaio breaks down some of the notable dates. [CT Post]
- Goalie Kristers Gudlevskis has agreed to a one-year, two-way contract with the Islanders, a few weeks after being acquired via trade [Islanders | BST]
- As you may have seen yesterday, we’ve added community member Spizzwolf to our ranks as a contributor. We’ll also have Jake Baskin, who’s written for The Ice Garden and elsewhere, writing some Sound Tigers and NCAA stuff for us. Looking forward to some great work from these dudes in the near future.
- And after some build-up, Rick Tocchet is now the head coach of the Coyotes. [FFH]
- Why, no. Of course an NHL team hiring a longstanding NHL coach as an assistant doesn’t mean he’s an easy replacement if the head man gets canned during the season. That’s crazy talk. [NY Post]
- Next year is Ryan McDonagh’s time to the be the Belle of the UFA Ball. [And other notes from Brooksie at the NY Post]
- There’s a bit of a discrepancy between what NBA stars make and what NHL stars make. [SBN]
- Analyzing Tyler Johnson’s new deal with the Lightning. [The Hockey News]
- What is “normal” shooting for an NHL player? [On the Forecheck]
- Old friend Kevin “It’s pronounced Churchman” Czuczman signs with the Penguins. [Pens]
- This sounds awkward: MSG signs booking and marketing deal with Prudential Center. [Variety]