Okay. Today’s the day. Maybe something happens. Maybe it doesn’t. Just everyone stay cool and take a deep breath.
The festivities begin at noon today, but as you’ll see, some news has already kinda sorta trickled out. So if you have to mow the lawn or wash the car or go grocery shopping, do it this morning.
We’ll do an open thread a little before noon. There might be some streaming options to watch the round tables and stuff, too.
In the meantime, read these.
- Obviously, the big thing for the Islanders today will be the window for re-signing John Tavares opening in earnest. He may not sign today or tomorrow or next week or next month. Dom say relax. Brett Cyrgalis says maybe you should think about panicking.
- Apparently, the Islanders have been talking to Justin Williams’ camp (notice how everyone always has a “camp” at this time of year?). Again, nothing is set in stone but they might be on his short list.
- How much room do they even have to add players during this period. Not a lot, but enough. [LHH]
- Anthony Beauvillier may have been an NHLer last season, but he still has a lot to show the Islanders. [Newsday]
- Yes, that was one of Mick Vukota’s sons at prospect camp. After spending a season on Long Island, young Alex finally understand his dad’s legacy. [Islanders]
- Scott Gomez’s hometown of Anchorage does a report on his new gig. [KTVA]
- Among his many other talents, Josh Ho-Sang is good with kids.
Around the NHL
- In a bit of a table-setting move, the Sabres acquired defenseman Marco Scandella and (re-acquired) Jason Pominville from Minnesota for Tyler Ennis and Marcus Foligno. Buffalo gets a real defenseman and the Wild get cap space. [DBTB]
- Also, the Flames brought back defenseman Michael Stone for a number Calgary fans don’t like. [M&G]
- Sounds like Brian Elliott is the Flyers’ new scapegoat in goal. [BSH]
- Wait. Could Andrei Markov seriously not come back to the Habs? [EOTP]
- And are the Oilers seriously considering trading Leon Draisaitl? [Edm. Jour | Apparently not, according to TSN]
- Some bargain bin free agents that could help someone today. [Sportsnet]
- After buying out Jimmy Hayes, the Bruins’ final haul for trading Tyler Seguin is bubkus. [Sportsnet]
- So, like, what’s going on inside the NHLPA? [Sportsnet]
- Good News: Justin Bourne is back in the writing business with The Athletic.
- Blues games without Darren Pang? Holy Jumpin! [St. Louis Dispatch]
Just, take it easy.