Game 3 of the Stanley Cup final is tonight, 8 pm on NBCSN (not the big network). Beware of flying catfish as the series shifts to Nashville.
In the meantime... get to work on those Why I’m a Fan stories. The contest ends on June 8. So far, the responses have been great.
- Gary Bettman talked about the Islanders arena situation to Bloomberg and said the usual “The Coliseum is old” line and that changes could be made to Barclays Center. Later, Brett Yormark said big alterations won’t be happening. Carry on. [LHH]
- But this is new: A short cartoon narrated by Bryan Trottier takes us through the history of the playoff beard. As some note in the comments, Trots’ memory of the event might not quite be right. The cartoon is still cool, though.
- TSN’s Insider Trading talks about the usual suspects - Matt Duchene, Tyson Barrie, Jordan Eberle - and throws Travis Hamonic out there as a possible name that could be moved. It’s not much to go on, honestly. [Non-Region Locked Video. Hamonic comes up around 2:15]
- A shocking turn of events: Ken Daneyko says his old teammate Scott Gomez will make a great coach for the Islanders. [MSG Networks]
- Celebrating over 1,000 games for Mavericks equipment mananger, Andrew Dvorak. [SinBin.net]
- So why do Predators fans throw catfish on the ice? Blame a Rangers fan. [The AP]
- Down Goes Brown’s Grab Bag also examines the Cat Fish guy that had the Pittsburgh police on his tail. Also includes some trivia from the Islanders 1981 final opponents, the Minnesota North Stars. [Vice.com]
- Predators assistant coach Phil Housley could be an NHL head coach one day. But he’s got a good reason to stay close to Minnesota - his wife is a state senator there. [Star Trib]
- Meanwhile, the Ducks and assistant coach/sentient mustache Paul MacLean have parted ways. [OC Register]
- The latest report from his weekend’s draft combine has Nico Hischier joking around and a report on Lias Andersson, former teammate of Linus Soderstrom and son of former Islander Niklas Andersson. [NHL.com]
- Related: McKeen’s 2017 Draft Rankings Top 31 players are out.
- The Canadiens have a tricky negotiation with Alex Galchenyuk ahead. [EOTP]
- Edmonton (still) needs defensemen, which means - you guessed it - more speculation about Griffin Reinhart. [Edm. Jour.]
- The Golden Knights will have an exclusive 72 hour window to negotiate with free agents and a few make for intriguing possibilities. [Sportsnet]
- Congrats to the Sedins on their honorary degrees and for adding one more bizarre picture to their extensive collection. [NHL.com]
- Rangers center Mika Zibanejad has dropped his first dance music single. Catchy! [Ottawa Report]
- Do you feel the NHL is totally in the tank for the Penguins? That means you and Capitals owner Ted Leonsis have something in common. [Deadspin]