Bienvenue, LHH. Free agency opens Saturday at noon. And, it's June 29, anniversary of the craziest hour of NHL off-ice action I can ever remember.
Within 60 minutes, Taylor Hall and Adam Larsson were traded for each other, then Shea Weber and P.K. Subban were traded for each other, and then Steven Stamkos, looking ripe for free agency, signed an extension with the Lightning.
Perhaps, oh just maybe, we'll see some fireworks again today.
- Tonight is the annual Blue-and-White Scrimmage at Northwell Health Ice Center. Here are the rosters for the three team mini tournament, which will be streamed on the team's website starting at 6 pm. [Islanders]
- Linus Soderstrom and Devon Toews are getting recognized for successes current and past at Isles' prospect camp. Also, check out some photos from the kids working with the coaches and going through drills.
- Soderstrom was also profiled by Cory Wright on the Isles' site. [Islanders]
- The Schwartz on Sports Podcast speaks with Joshua Ho-Sang and Kieffer Bellows and talks Islanders hockey.
- Speaking of podcasts, the Point Blank Podcast recorded its final episode the other day, but Brian Compton and Mike Carver are simply leaving SNY and managing themselves, on a new podcast called Isle Seat. Check out their new site and welcome message.
- Enjoy this Q&A with the Islanders' 77th overall pick in this past draft, Newburyport resident Ben Mirageas. [North of Boston]
- New Islander Jordan Eberle stopped by Sportsnet 590 The Fan in Canada and discussed his trade, and how excited he is to play with some close friends. Fun fact: the No. 7 he will be wearing in Brooklyn is actually his favorite number - he couldn't wear it with the Oilers because Paul Coffey's number was retired.
- Former Isles first-round pick Paul Boutlier has been lauded for his work with Senators prospect Thomas Chabot as an assistant in QMJHL Saint John's, and the Sens loved his work so much they brought him on as an assistant in the AHL team's new home in Belleville, Ontario. [Ottawa Citizen]
Gone to the Beach
After Isles Mini-Camp let out yesterday, the participants all took a trip to the beach. There were, of course, some gems, that you can find on the Islanders Twitter feed. Here are some highlights.
Josh Ho-Sang handling the play-by-play of a riveting beach volleyball match:
Ho-Sang and Anthony Beauvillier attempting to set sail:
And, of course, some action shots:
News and Notes for the Hockey World
- The big news to unfold yesterday: Connor McDavid will reportedly sign an 8-year extension with an AAV of $13.25 million when he is eligible to do so on Saturday. It would make him the highest-paid player in the league. He will be well worth every cent. [TSN]
- Don't believe me? Take it from two respected sources then! [SBN and Sportsnet on why McDavid's extension makes sense]
- The Lightning re-signed one-time John Tavares winger Cory Conacher to a two-year contract. [NHL.com]
- Speaking of the Lightning, Andrei Vasilevskiy was asked if he was happy about the Ben Bishop trade, and replied that he's "not that disgusting" so as to be happy about a teammate leaving. [Raw Charge]
- Aw, miss you Grabo: meet one of the new Golden Knights, Mikhail Grabovski. He, unfortunately, will probably not play for them. [Knights on Ice]