The first round of the 2017 NHL Draft is in the books and it was... weird. The first 20 or so picks flew by without a trade. Then, before we knew it, the Flyers had gotten a king’s ransom for Brayden Schenn and the Penguins traded their first rounder for Ryan Reaves. See? Weird.
Before we get to the links, here’s what you need to know for today. Jenny will have rounds 2-7 covered so keep it here for all of the Islanders moves.
2017 NHL Entry Draft Second Round When and Where to Watch:
- Saturday, June 24, 10 a.m. ET / 7 a.m. PT.
- United Center, Chicago
- USA broadcast: NHL Network | Canada broadcast: Sportsnet
- Live streaming: None that I know of but Sportsnet Radio carried last year’s draft. Prepare yourself for lots of Leafs talk.
Islanders picks (as of now):
- Second Round, No. 46
- Third Round, No. 77
- Fifth Round, No. 139
- Seventh Round, No. 201
I have absolutely no idea who I want the Islanders to select today, so I’ll just keep my fingers crossed for good news.
- No, you didn’t miss anything. Garth Snow made no trades on Day 1, even just to get back into the first round. That means that Travis Hamonic has also not been traded. Which is weird because all we heard all damn day was how available he was. There’s still time, of course, but we’ll just have to wait and see where it goes from here.
- And what the hell happened with Matt Duchene? Now Joe Sakic says he might hold onto him. [Lebrun Twitter]
- Are we desperate? Feels like it. [Altar of Bossy]
- In the meantime, let’s take a look at the newest Islander, Jordan Eberle. [FanPost | Seven Things to Know about the new No. 7]
- Copper n’ Blue’s Ryan Batty remembers his journey with Eberle. And Dom clues Oilers fans in on Ryan Strome.
- Totally not draft related, but still good to know: Jack Capuano is now an assistant coach with the Panthers. [LHH]
Draft Day 1
- All of Friday’s picks graded by SBN’s Pat Iversen. Some of these may not be 100% serious. That reminds me, I need to get back into Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
- In the end, it was Nico over Nolan. [AATJ]
- The Flyers appear to be an early winner, drafting Nolan Patrick then trading some Schenn to St. Louis for two (2) first round picks (one conditional) and Jori Lehtera. [BSH | The guy they took with one of those picks has some... interesting old tweets]
- And the Penguins did indeed trade pick No. 31 and forward Oskar Sundqvist to the Blues for goon Ryan Reaves, who you’ll hate soon if you don’t already. Remember this when Mario drones on about the “garage league” his team is in. [Pensburgh]
- The Coyotes made a couple of huge moves, picking up Niklas Hjalmarsson from the Blackhawks [FFH] and both Derek Stepan and Antti Raanta from the Rangers. [BSB]
- But Chicago wasn’t done. They also traded Artemi Panarin to Columbus for... Brandon Saad, who they traded to the Blue Jackets two years ago. [SCH | So, uh... Why? | As always with the ‘Hawks, it’s about money]
- UFA T.J. Oshie will return to the Capitals on an eight-year, $46 million deal. The cap hit isn’t that bad but holy moly that’s a long time. [Japers]
- A fun look at Lightning jerseys throughout the years. [Lightning]
- One thing about James Dolan: the man is dedicated to his music. [SBN]