It’s time for the Nolan/Nico intrigue to end as NHL general managers gather in Chicago for the 2017 Entry Draft.
The Devils and Flyers have the first two picks, which means they’ll be of interest to Islanders fans (more about our guys in a minute). For the better part of the last year, WHL center Nolan Patrick and Swiss forward Nico Hischier have flipped-flopped as the projected first overall pick. Tonight, one of them will be. Unless the Devils do something... unexpected.
The new guy Vegas Golden Knights have three picks in the first round - their own at No. 6, Winnipeg’s at No. 13 and the Islanders at No. 15. Dallas also picks twice tonight - at No. 3 and No. 29 thanks to a trade with Anaheim. Expect all of this to change at some point tonight. The Rangers have already nabbed the No. 7 pick from Arizona this afternoon.
For the Islanders
Although the Isles have no actual pick in tonight’s first round - courtesy of a trade with Vegas that guaranteed George McPhee select goalie J-F Berube instead of someone else - that’s no reason to not watch. The last time Garth Snow went into a draft with no first round pick, he walked out with Mathew Barzal and Anthony Beauvillier. Or he could just spend the time making a trade for an established player. Anything is possible.
Overall, the Islanders have four picks in the draft, starting in tomorrow’s second round at No. 46. But again - say it with me now - this could totally change.
2017 NHL Entry Draft When and Where to Watch:
- First Round: Friday, June 23, 7 p.m. ET / 4 p.m. PT.
- Second thru Seventh Rounds: Saturday, June 24, 10 a.m. ET / 7 a.m. PT.
- United Center, Chicago
- USA broadcast: NBCSN (Friday), NHL Network (Saturday) | Canada broadcast: Sportsnet
- Live streaming: None that I know of but Sportsnet Radio carried last year’s draft. Prepare yourself for lots of Leafs talk.
FIRST ROUND ORDER OF SELECTION
1. New Jersey
7. New York Rangers (from Arizona)
11. Los Angeles
13. Vegas (from Winnipeg)
14. Tampa Bay
15. Vegas (from New York Islanders)
19. San Jose
20. St. Louis
21. NY Rangers
23. Arizona (from Minnesota)
24. Winnipeg (from Columbus via Vegas)
27. St. Louis (from Washington)
29. Dallas (from Anaheim)
Some advice from Samuel L.: