Well folks, the NHL Awards Show itself was as boring as it usually is. Unfunny jokes not written in the style of the host, combined with a host that didn't think he belonged - it was pretty classic off-the-ice NHL stuff.
Oh, there was something else! That confounded expansion draft. That was a bit more entertaining. Among the notables selected by the Golden Knights: James Neal, Jonathan Marchessault (and Reilly Smith), Marc-Andre Fleury, J-F Berube... wait who?!
Not sure how Garth pulled that off, but expansion could have gone much worse for the Islanders. Appears George McPhee did a favor to his old friend and colleague.
At 8:00 a.m. EST, the trade freeze lifts. While we get to see who Vegas picked for other teams, the insiders all seem to think the Isles are gonna make a splash, and soon, for a forward or two. I don't think I should have butterflies over a hockey team that doesn't affect me, but here we are.
- As stated, the Islanders lost J-F Berube, a pending Group VI free agent, as part of their official trade with Vegas. Get the full scoop here. [Newsday | LHH | NY Post]
- Also, have a full round-up of the Expansion Draft and Awards Ceremony from Dan, including John Tavares finishing eighth in Selke voting. [LHH]
- Michael Fornabaio checks in and says hello, with a note on expansion, as well as Ben Bishop playing pro-am golf. [Soundin' Off]
- The NHL announced yesterday the opening games and home openers for every team. The Islanders open the season on Friday, October 6 against the Blue Jackets in Columbus, and return home to host the Sabres the next night, Saturday, October 7. Full NHL schedules will be released some time today. [LHH]
Vegas Golden Knights News
- Have a look at the fellows comprising the first ever Golden Knights roster, even if it's only for a few hours. [SBN]
- While you're at it, have a peek at the 10 announced trades they made involving the expansion draft. [SBN]
- But wait, there's more! Here's every Golden Knight that's rumored to be a flip. There aren't many known, yet. [SBN]
- One of the picks and trades they made was with the Ducks: in return for taking Clayton Stoner's contract off their hands, Anaheim also sent along Shea Theodore, a good young defenseman. [Anaheim Calling]
- And the Blue Jackets made a multi-part deal with Vegas that was eerily similar to the one the Islanders made. [Dispatch]
- An in-depth investigation into the birth of the Golden Knights' look and logo. [Puck Daddy]
- We may know who the real Golden Knights are now, but have a look at my idea of what the team could have looked like if they were trying to be competitive... -ish. They'd still be pretty bad.
A Few Other Tidbits and Such
- This edition of the Sabres draft notebook includes a profile on DiPietro. Not Rick, but Michael DiPietro. There's no relation, but he's asked about it all the time. [Sabres]
- Marian Hossa may be forced to retire from the NHL because of his allergic reaction to his equipment. A tough break, but it wouldn't be the first time a skin reaction forced a member of the Blackhawks to retire: Tom Reid suffered from a skin disorder and had to retire.