After what feels like a decade of build-up, the roster for the NHL’s newest expansion team - the Vegas Golden Knights - will finally be revealed tonight during the league’s annual awards show. Yeah, it’s a little strange.
Vegas general manager George McPhee had to submit his picks by 10 a.m. today, and the roster will be unveiled during the event tonight in the new team’s home town. Several players who already know they’ve been selected may be on hand to waive to their new fans.
Here’s what you need to know about tonight’s weird, wild show. You’re gonna want to watch it. It’s hosted by actor, Pittsburgh native and Mr. Sofia Vergara, Joe Manganiello, who’s starred in Magic Mike, True Blood and many other shirtless performances. He’s a kind of a good lookin’ dude, (and also a true hockey fan, which is nice).
For the Islanders
We already know that a deal is in place between McPhee and GM Garth Snow that will see the Islanders’ first round pick, injured forward Mikhail Grabovski and another player going to Vegas in order to protect exposed players Ryan Strome, Brock Nelson and Calvin de Haan. Who that other player turns out to be is still a mystery.
Update: Holy Shit. Vegas is taking J-F Berube!
As for the awards portion of the evening, Travis Hamonic already received the NHL Foundation Award for his exemplary charitable works at a ceremony last night. But at tonight’s show, he’ll be honored again and given $25,000 from the NHL to donate to the charity (or charities) of his choice. So tune in anyway.
2017 NHL Expansion Draft & NHL Awards When and Where to Watch:
- Wednesday, June 21, 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT
- T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas
- USA: NBCSN | Canada: Sportsnet
- Live streaming on NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app
2017 NHL Expansion Draft Rules
- Vegas will take one player — no more, or no less — from each existing team.
- They must select at least 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goalies.
- 20 of the 30 players must be under contract in 2017-18.
- The cap hit of all players selected in the Expansion Draft must be somewhere between $43.8 million and $73 million.
2017 NHL Awards Finalists
- Hart Trophy (league MVP): Connor McDavid, Sidney Crosby, Sergei Bobrovsky.
- Norris Trophy (best defenseman): Brent Burns, Erik Karlsson, Victor Hedman
- Vezina Trophy (best goaltender): Sergei Bobrovsky, Braden Holtby, Carey Price.
- Calder Trophy (top rookie): Auston Matthews, Patrik Laine, Zach Werenski.
- Selke Trophy (best defensive forward): Ryan Kesler, Patrice Bergeron, Mikko Koivu.
- Lady Byng Trophy (most gentlemanly forward): Johnny Gaudreau, Vladimir Tarasenko, Mikael Granlund.
- Masterton Trophy (dedication / perseverance): Craig Anderson, Andrew Cogliano, Derek Ryan.
- NHL Foundation Award (community service): Wayne Simmonds, Travis Hamonic.
- Mark Messier Leadership Award: Nick Foligno, Ryan Getzlaf, Mark Giordano.
- Ted Lindsay Award (MVP as voted by the players): Brent Burns, Sidney Crosby, Connor McDavid.
- Jack Adams Award (best coach): Mike Babcock, Todd McLellan, John Tortorella.
- General Manager of the Year: Peter Chiarelli, Pierre Dorion, David Poile.