Let us not depart from the default position that we are forever perplexed, we Islanders fans, by the decisions of the team to which we pledge laundry allegiance. But maybe things from the Pelech-palooza expansion protected list are...a little clearer?
The Las Vegas Golden Knights expansion draft selections will be formally announced Wednesday evening, the last of the expansion draft deadlines. But general manager George McPhee says he’ll have his picks finalized Tuesday evening. And he warned that he wasn’t taking any trade proposals past midnight last night.
So here we are.
- Arthur Staple reports what he “swears” is the correct story on the Islanders’ arrangement with McPhee/Vegas, and all the Canadian media insiders are retweeting his version, so you can bet he has the insider-est version. [Newsday | LHH]
- Dan went into what we knew before Staple wrapped all that up with reporting (and then: vodka) yesterday in the updated draft post, and bits.
- TSN Radio Ottawa talks to easygoing Carp lad Calvin de Haan about being exposed in the expansion draft. “The league wants Vegas to compete right away.” [TSN]
- Looking back at the Islanders-Lightning meetings from 2016-17, which isn’t something you really want to relive. [Raw Charge]
- George McPhee controls the direction for 30 NHL teams right now. It’s kind of fascinating. And for each potential move, many other dominoes. This captures the situation perfectly. [NHL] He gave teams a midnight deadline to bid for their unprotected players. [TSN]
- Elsewhere in “what’s my team thinking?” Wings fans puzzle over the exposure of Petr Mrazek and also forward Justin Abdelkader over Riley Sheehan. [WIIM]
- For the players are selected, the next question after “where will the kids go to school?” is “Wait, do I even fit in here?” [Sun]
- TSN’s final draft rankings: Hischier’s METEORIC rise to #1. [TSN]
- The Coyotes have finally cut the cord with World Class Elbower and Leader Shane Doan. Somehow it’s bitter, even though he’s 40 and basically done, but at least he didn’t elbow his GM on the way out. [Yahoo]
- Telling Doan goodbye is the right move, says Dan Rosen (and tons of others) [NHL]
- THURSDAY! THURSDAY! THURSDAY! BE THERE! The NHL announces...it’s 2017-18 schedule live on NHL Network, okay? [NHL]
- The Wings are closing in on Spenser Foo, college free agent and cool name. [Kuklas Korner - The Athletic]
- Remembering that “perfect hockey machine” Howie Morenz, who died 80 years ago at age 34. [NY Times]