A week from today, all expansion hell breaks loose.
- Dom broke down one of the, if not the most, pressing question for the Islanders ahead of the expansion draft: de Haan or Hamonic? (deHamonic? Hamhaan? deMonic?)
- The Islanders’ preseason schedule is still mostly up in the air and could still involve the renovated Nassau Coliseum. [NY Post]
- Short blurb in the Edmonton Sun about the impending Kelly Buchberger hiring.
- Matt “Now, he’s the third” Gaudreau has re-signed with the Sound Tigers.
- You’ve already read the Doug Weight interview with Brian Compton at NHL.com but I also added it to the Tavares Encyclopedia because I am a crazy person.
- While the main location undergoes renovations, the Coney Island branch of the Barclays Center Swag Shop contains no Islanders merchandise, which Atlantic Yards Report finds strange.
- The Grand Rapids Griffins are your 2017 Calder Cup champions after their 4-3 Game 6 win over the Syracuse Crunch. Former Islanders draft pick Robbie Russo is on the Red Wings farm team, which will no doubt irk someone. Congrats to the Winging It in Motown crew. [Michael Fornabaio with the final series info and other AHL notes]
- Rangers defenseman Kevin Klein is pondering retirement after an injury-plagued season. Hm. [Brooksie | BSB]
- The Ducks have a deal with the Golden Knights that might involve Kevin Bieksa but we don’t know what it is. [NHL.com]
- So how good could Ilya Kovalchuk be if/when he comes back to the NHL? Travis Yost says he’d be good for about 60 points. [TSN.ca]
- Eyes on the Prize looks at how the East’s playoff teams built their fourth lines.
- The Predators’ playoff run changed the way Everyday Should be Saturday’s Spencer Hall looks at his hometown. This is real good. [SBN]
- Scott Darling says goodbye to Chicago and tells the story of his wild ride from rehab to Raleigh. [Players Trib]
- Third String Goalie on the death of the Cleveland Barons, who were merged with the North Stars 40-something years ago this week.
- Broad Street Hockey and SBN Hockey honcho Travis Hughes is a man who likes to watch the world burn. My god. Could you imagine this?