Tonight’s only game features the Senators with a chance to eliminate the Smurfs at the Garden.
But closer to the Islanders homefront, some non-urgent but interesting news...
- John Tavares had hand surgery and is still in a cast, but he’s gonna be okay. He can still sign the contract. [Newsday | LHH]
- Speaking of which, we updated our Encyclopedia of Tavares Telling Toronto to Get Lost because Keith had a funny tweet connecting that to the previous story. (If you’re unfamiliar with that long-running and now quite long post, well it’s where we house all the times Tavares — or insiders — have basically countered the “Tavares will leave” narrative pushed in other circles.
- And speaking of contracts, the one between the Islanders and Barclays Center is officially open for renegotiation. That’s “news” in the technical sense, though not in the “would you look at this?” sense, as yesterday was the last day for the areener to trigger the renegotiation window stipulated in their agreement. [Newsday | LHH]
- This article is...puzzlingly composed. But it’s about Anders Lee scoring lots this past season. [IIHF17]
- Musing over Josh Ho-Sang’s potential production, linemates. [THW]
About last night in the NHL, you ask?
WSH-PIT G6. Pens didn't show up. pic.twitter.com/W730skVS9g— Muneeb Alam (@muneebalamcu) May 9, 2017
Burakovsky scores a weird goal and the Caps lead 2-0 pic.twitter.com/C7Dase3qq4— Pete Blackburn (@PeteBlackburn) May 9, 2017
- At the Worlds: Finland blew a 3-0 lead to lose to the Czechs in a shootout. Anders Lee had an assists as the Swedes blew three leads to the U.S. and lost, 4-3. Canada beat Belearus, 6-0. And Russia won 6-3 over Thomas Greiss and co-hosts Germany.
- Kyle Turris, Ranger-slayer, OT hero, and hero off the ice. [TSN]
- In the long catalog of playoff “that guy was playing on one leg,” Alexander Steen was playing on one leg (broken foot). [STLtoday]
- A strongly worded (and cited) memo from Broad Street Hockey on why the Flyers shouldn’t allow Dean Lombardi to have a role with the team. [BSH]
- Meanwhile, in Montreal media...the Canadiens should consider trading Carey Price. (Maybe to Nashville, yeah?) [Gazette]
- Also, P.K. Subban spoofed dumb reporter non-questions and it made a Montreal columnist -- one who yet again praised the Subban-Weber trade — all mad. [Awful Announcing]
- J.T. Brown connects with fans via video games. [Raw Charge]