- Seattle opened the WHL final with a 2-1 OT win over Regina last night. Naturally, Mathew Barzal assisted on both goals. [My Northwest]
- Cute Newsday piece on former prom king and prominent Islanders fan and radio show host Gary Harding and his wife Claire.
- Not a great start for Team USA, who lost 2-1 to Thomas Greiss and Team Germany to open the tournament yesterday. Brock Nelson had an assist. [USA Today]
- Canada and Russia also won their first games.
- Here’s how to watch the games and follow along throughout the tournament. Germany is right back at it this afternoon (our time) against Sweden. [LHH]
- Paris cops searched Team Belarus upon entry, which kinda pissed the players off. [Puck Daddy]
- The World Championships mean the return of the IIHF’s often hilariously bizarre Power Rankings.
- Radko Gudas is a menace, and now he’s even terrorizing his own Flyers teammates. [BSH]
Playoffs and other stuff
- Man, oh, man. What a disaster for Edmonton. Up 3-0 with three minutes to go, they let the Ducks tie the game before losing in double OT to noted villain Corey Perry. Now the Oilers’ season is on the line on Sunday. [NHL.com]
- The Blues stayed alive with a 3-1 win over Nashville in Game 5. [Dispatch]
- The Capitals season is also on line tonight and, oh good, it looks like Sidney Crosby could be back in the lineup. [Pensburgh]
- C’mon, Guy Boucher. Get your shit together. [Silver Seven]
- Scott Darling will indeed stay in Carolina on a four-year contract. He makes the Hurricanes instantly better by virtue of the fact that he’s not Cam Ward or Eddie Lack (who are both still signed for next season also). [Canes Country]
- Team USA announced its women’s national team roster at its new headquarters in Tampa. [The Ice Garden]
- You guys really need to let this thing go. [Hartford Courant]